Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Gianluca's POV

Why hadn't I thought about it before? It was the only solution. It was a drastic measure, and I wasn't sure if taking such a risk would be a good idea, but I will try. I would gain time and if things go to the worst, I would lose anything but the most important thing, Justine. Suddenly, I felt better, and the tension I had been experiencing in the past weeks seemed to ease. I drove home as I kept thinking about all the things I had to prepare. There were documents to sign, transfers to be done, and lawyers to visit. Would I be able to do all these things in such a short time? I had to. But most of all, will Justine help me?

I was so absorbed in my thoughts I didn't realise that I had arrived home. I parked in the drive-in and as I locked the car I heard the front door opening. As I waited to hear her angry voice, I took in a deep breath.

"You're late, again." She said.

"Yes. I told you I had a meeting tonight and not to wait for me." I replied without even looking at her. I put the keys of the car in my pocket and walked past her to go to my father's house. I damned myself for not leaving my father's house when I had the opportunity, but then I reminded myself that I had done it for my mum. If it wasn't for her, I would have walked out when I was eighteen, but then who would take her defence? Who would take care of her broken heart? Who would try in vain to put the pieces together again when father decided it was time for another affair or even two? I often wondered why my mother had accepted to marry such a man. He had never been faithful to her, not even before they got married or when she was expecting me. And the worst thing was that he never tried to hide it. I can still remember her anguished cries each time he returned home smelling of female perfume. How many times she had tried to wash away the marks of lipstick from his white shirts, crying her soul out while unpacking his business luggage and finding empty packets of condoms? Yet she never left him, she stayed. Initially, I thought she did it for me, but then once I confronted her because I couldn't take it any longer to see her always sad and asked her why she didn't divorce him. I was a man, and I didn't need a father anymore. She had replied that she loved him and that although she knew he would always have mistresses, he always left them and returned to her.

"Where have you been?" She asked again.

"I already told you. Alana, I'm dead tired. It's been a long night and right now, all I want is to go to sleep."

"Why are you doing this to me? You keep ignoring me, you don't even look at me while I talk to you. Why are you hurting me?"

I sighed. "I'm sorry. You know that I have a lot of work to do and I have to do it myself. I'm taking care of your father's business as well." I said as I took off my jacket.

"Are you having an affair?" She asked suddenly. I felt nauseous as suddenly it was as if I was seeing my mother in Alana. Yes, I was having an affair, although it wasn't just an affair. I was in love with Justine and I wanted to be with her, not for a short term as my father did with his lovers. I wanted to pass my entire life with her.

"No." I lied.

"It's your secretary, right?"

My stomach contracted. Was it so clear?

"Alana, stop it? Why do you have to suspect every female that works for me?" I asked, trying to sound offended.

"Gianluca, look at me."

I did and hoped that my eyes wouldn't betray me.

"Were you with her?"

"I already told you where I was. Stop inventing things, please."