Chapter 18 - Stood Up

[Hello~ hope you are enjoying your fine existence as you read through my story! So sorry about the delay!

Please enjoy and feel free to comment and tell me what you thinks of the story thus far, maybe even tell me what you think could be done better or instead: always up for some advice!

And again thanking you for reading!]

Blue eyes were fixed on me as my car crawled into the Angel’s driveway. I could tell by the occasional twitching of the left eye that I was in for a potential beat down.

“Shit…”

Taking one glance at the timer on the dashboard, I sighed wearily and yet I still couldn’t find the guilt I needed to show up with due to my thirty minute sleep-in. Looking back at the house, I was surprised to see Michael still standing by the window, except his eyes had moved further down the driveway. For a brief moment I watched in shock as frustration turned to anxiety.

Exiting the car I made my way to the front door, scanning the road in front of the house and noting no other vehicles passing by.

“You’re trying to sabotage this aren’t you?” Michael asked through gritted teeth.

Standing on the threshold of the house I looked up at him in concern. I could tell by the rough tone he hadn’t slept any more than I had last night and though I could guess our reasons to be different, I still couldn’t see the reason being anxiety over his date with Amy Mason. Somehow the image didn’t fit with the Michael I was so used to watching break girl’s hearts.

“Dramatic much…?” I queried jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

Michael’s eyes narrowed and I was soon confronted with an icy glare, shocking me slightly at its intensity.

“Whoa… what’s with the cold greeting?” I tried to look past his frame to inside the house, “You okay man?

Michael opened the door wider to let me in, sighing in annoyance as he wiped his face, trying to discard the last of the sandman’s stay from his features. Turning back to me, I watched as the guy tried to form an apologetic expression.

“Sorry, I just thought it was…,” his eyes moved back to the driveway but the car that had turned into the road moved past and vanished on the other end of the road. Michael sighed wearily, “I thought it was her.”

“Why you so tensed up? It’s not like she called and cancelled, right?” I joked moving to the lounge area. When no response followed I turned to Michael hesitantly, “…right?”

Shaking out of a daze, Michael turned to me, relieved.

“Right, she would call and cancel. But she didn’t so….” he rambled on and all I could do was watch in awe.

“You- you are something…” I mumbled as I tried to remember the last time I had seen Michael so out of sorts over a girl, only to come up with no memory.

“What?” he asked sharply, his face tinting slightly. I turned and moved to the couch. Catching movement out the corner of my eye, I turned to the doorway leading to the kitchen, my heart racing as I thought of who the shadow could have been.

“So… where’s Mia? She still getting ready or what?” I asked as coolly as I could.

Michael sighed in frustration at the mention of his sister’s name, gaining my attention.

“Uhmf! Forget about her, she’s not coming.” He seethed as he walked over to the window, fixing his eyes back onto the driveway.

I stood frozen as tried to make sense of his words, my heart nearly malfunctioning as it switched gears from high to low at the news.