Chapter 1

Twenty- three glossy copies were left over from a batch of seventy.  Not bad, considering this was my first book signing for my first published piece.  I had been sitting behind my book display for hours, it was time to call it a day.  One by one, I started to neatly place the books in a box. 

   "The poet's packing it up already?" An all too familiar voice asked from behind.

     "Jay!" I dropped everything and all but tackled my dearest cousin.

      "How's my favorite cousin?"

I was his only cousin.  But that little detail did not dim my smile.  Jay and I had a close bond and didn't end with blood.  We were not just cousins, we were best friends.

        "I'm wonderful!"

         "Awesome! Now smile for the camera!" Someone called out.

I tore my attention from Jay and turned to find Aaron aiming a camera at me with Zak at his side.  They both had slightly amused expressions when I shyly waved to the camera.  As odd as it may sound, I have never met Aaron or Zak.  Sure, I supported and watched their show religiously, but Jay had never introduced me to his crew members... Not till now.   I tossed my smirking cousin my signature what the hell look.

           "I thought you were out on a case."  Or at least that was the excuse he gave me when he said might not be able to make for the signing.  Well, better late than never.

             "We're researching at the moment."

I was about to reply when Zak stepped forward.

               "I don't believe we've officially met, I'm Zak and that goofball with the camera is Aaron."

The second I shook hands with Zak, something strange happened.  It was like an electrical pulse invaded my skin.  I looked up, wondering if he had felt the shock as well.  He said nothing, but his eyes were curious and his brows were raised.  Of course he felt it, Shaden! It was just some static electricity!

             "Shaden Williams, it's a pleasure to finally meet you..." I glanced over at Aaron with a smile. "Both of you."

              "The pleasure is ours, Ma Lady." Baldie said as he dipped into a rather dramatic curtsy.  The three of us chuckled at his pleasantly awkward gesture.

               "How long have you been writing?" Zak asked as he picked up one of my books and began flipping through it.

                " Since I was eleven.  However, this is my first published work."

               "I'll take it." He handed me a crisp twenty dollar bill.

               "Look at Zak, raking in some brownie points."  Aaron commented to his camera.
I playfully rolled my eyes as I signed Zak's copy.

         "There is no exquisite beauty... Without some strangeness in the proportion." _ Edgar Allan Poe

    To Zak Bagans, one of many unshattered souls.

        _ Shaden Calliope Williams

   Satisfied, I capped my sharpie and handed him the book.

                 "What did you do, write him a poem?" Jay teased.

                  "Now Jay, you know I don't pour my emotions out on paper for a guy before he buys me a drink."  I said jokingly.

                 "I might just do that." Zak gave me a crooked grin.

                  "I might just let you."  I might just let you? Shaden, what kind of a reply was that?!

     Jay cleared his throat, he must have felt the awkwardness oozing from me.  I know I did.

                  "Right, I'm sure we can find a decent bar in Connecticut."

                    "Connecticut?" I arched a fine brow at my cousin.

                     "Dude, you didn't tell her?!" Zak scolded Jay.
So, my best friend was keeping secrets now?

                     "Jay?" I threw him a narrow look.  He nervously laughed.

                   "Well, we need your help with our upcoming investigation..."

                   "Jay, out with it please." I grabbed him by the shoulders.

                    "We're investigating Ashworth and want you to come with us."

                    "Why didn't you just say so? Of course I'll go with you guys!" I pulled a smiling Jay into a hug. 

                    "Jay told us you have some history with Ashworth University." Zak said once I released my hold on him.

I did indeed.  I attended classes at Ashworth for four years and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in English.  But, I highly doubt they cared about how many papers I wrote or the number of books I read... They wanted to know about the less academic side of the university.

Suddenly, a loud growl came from Aaron's stomach.  I glanced at the clock on the wall, it was getting fairly close to dinner time.

                     "How about we head to my apartment and order some pizza while we talk?"

                     "Sounds like a plan." They all agreed.
I nodded and went to pick up a box full of books, only to have it taken from me.

                      "Thanks Zak." I smiled at the 6'1 smirking man.

                      "No problem."