Chapter Two

Though she spent the entirety of History class mentally preparing herself to speak to Christian Montgomery and apologize for her behavior before class started, it seemed as if Eva would not be a source for teasing considering how she had reacted upon first seeing him. From the moment he began teaching, Mr. Montgomery held every student's attention in the class, male and female alike. He was easy-going and charismatic. She surveyed him carefully, while also taking notes on what he talked about during the hour, and noted how comfortable he was in this environment. Her classmates were more participative in this one class than she had ever seen them these past few months. If there was ever any question on whether he was a great teacher, by the end of the hour, Eva had her answer: he was meant to do this job.

When the bell sounded, signaling the end of first period, Eva gathered her things and stuffed them into her bag before rising from her desk. Her classmates were doing the same and they all called good bye to Mr. Montgomery happily as they walked out the door. He returned their salutations just as warmly, the smile never leaving his face. Eva found that she liked seeing that smile. It made him look older and younger at the same time. As if he were a wise old soul in the body of a twenty something year old.

Nearing the front of the room, Eva realized she was one of the last students to leave. She approached Mr. Montgomery's desk slowly, her pulse suddenly racing, heat rushing to her cheeks. His back was to her as he erased the white board of the notes he had scribbled over it during class. It almost made her smile. The next class of students would be oblivious to whatever he was getting ready to talk about. Unless of course, anyone had managed to text their friends who would have him later that day.

"Mr. Montgomery," Eva said, voice cracking a bit. She cleared her throat as he turned to face her. Even though she had seen his smile the entire past hour, having it directed only at her was enough to knock her speechless for a moment and she nearly forgot what she had been about to say.

"Yes, Ms. Grey?" he greeted her. He had spent the first ten minutes of the hour going around the room and learning everyone's names. Some of her classmates had shared something about themselves, such as what athletic program they might be involved in or other extracurricular activities. Eva had barely managed to say her name before blushing furiously and feeling relieved when the person after her continued on before she had to come up with something; a feat, she knew, that would have taken far too long.

"I just wanted to apologize again," Eva forced herself to say now, remembering, briefly, that moment before class had begun. "For running into you earlier when I came in. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."

He shrugged. "No need Ms. Grey, though I do appreciate it," he said. He pulled the black desk chair from under his desk and sat down. "However, I would like to discuss something with you. Could you possibly meet with me during your lunch hour?"

Eva's heart stuttered, then quickened. "Oh! Yes-yes sir, I could do that." She said, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach. "H-Have I done something wrong?"

He shook his head. "Not at all. I just wanted to speak with you about your experiences in this class."

His words did not calm her fears of phone calls home and whatever punishments would await her once her stepfather caught wind just of the fact that a teacher had called home about her. "O-Ok," Eva forced through the knot in her throat. "I will see you at lunch."

She hurried from the room then, suddenly more anxious than ever. Instead of heading to her second period class, she ran to the girl's room, which was blissfully, empty, busted through a stall, her bag dropping to the floor and vomited into the toilet. There was a ringing in her ears that had nothing to do with the bell that sounded, signaling the beginning of second period. She felt lightheaded and too hot, as if she were standing in a desert, deprived of water, and dressed all in heavy black clothes that she could not remove.