Finnick Odair and Annie Cresta: Young Love

They knew each other before their reapings. Annie was an adorable seven year-old girl. Her brunette hair fell in waves down her back as she sat on the dock watching her father make rope for a living. She turn her head to see the ‘famous’ Finnick Odair with her electric blue eyes. At nine years old, Finnick Odair was the heartthrob of every girl at their school. He had messy golden hair and sea green eyes that sparkled. Annie wasn’t like other girls, she admired his beauty, but at a young age she knew feelings needed to be taken into consideration. 

There were nights as a child, Annie remembers, where her parents were always arguing. The District 4 peacekeepers did nothing to stop them, even if it was two in the morning. Annie was always upset and looked for some way to escape. The days she watched her father at his job, if she turned her head she could see Finnick everyday with his father learning how to wield a triton. 

He had many failed attempts which always made her giggle. Sometimes, she would have uncontrollable fits of giggling, that first day was when he noticed her. He recognized her from school, but he knew her as the quiet and shy girl from school. He realized she saw him practicing with the triton and everyday looked up to the dock to see if she was there. He could always count on her being up there watching him learn how to use the triton, collecting food for his family. 

They never talked to each other. Finnick’s reaping was a heartbreaking moment for Annie, he was fourteen and Annie had just turned twelve. She didn’t doubt his chances of winning, but she went to go see him that day. He was surprised to see her, but she had to give him something. Shyly, she pulled out a rope bracelet she made with some of the rope her father used to make his nets. She had spent a long time making it perfect and was waiting for the right moment to give it to him, it happened to be then. 

“Why are you giving me this?” He asked her. 

“I want you to come back, maybe you could teach me how to swim too,” She shrugged. 

“You don’t know how to?” He was shocked. 

She shook her head, “Will you try to win, for me?”

He smiles and nods, “And then I’ll give you those lessons.”

It is four years later that Annie is reaped. In the past four years, she has became Finnick’s friend despite the glares of jealous, crushing girls. Finnick has grown to not only be the heartthrob of District 4 girls, but girls from the Capitol as well. Before Annie’s reaping Finnick trusted her with his most dangerous secret about what his Capitol trips include. 

He visits her the day of the reaping and asks her if she will try to come back. “I want to,” She sighs putting her head in her hands. “My family... they won’t stop fighting and-”

He grabs her hands and she looks up at him, “Annie, come back for me.” 

She nods and sniffs, “I’ll try to.”

Annie makes it back, but the arena changes people. Her nightmares are horrible with flashbacks of the arena twisted in with her family’s disputes. Despite their move to Victor’s Village, the family still fights. After one nightmare, Annie grabs a beach towel and makes her way to the shore to lie on the beach. 

“Annie?” Finnick asks appearing from the trees. They have had many nights like this before. As always, Annie covers her ears to tune out the horrible memories, but what helps her the most is Finnick. He sits next to her and whispers, “You’re safe.” 

It takes awhile before she nods, “Fin?” 

“Yes?” 

“Do you have nightmares of the arena?” She whispers. 

“Sometimes,” He admits. 

“I hate when you have to go to the Capitol. I always stay out here until dawn and by the time I get home my parents are already arguing,” Annie frowns. 

“I could always ask for you to come with me,” He suggests.

“No. They’ll torture me... seeing their faces again,” Annie whimpers and he holds her closer to him.

He kisses the crown of her head, “We could run off.”

Annie shakes her head, “I don’t want you to get hurt, just stay with me, Fin, we’ll figure it out later.” He nods and continues to embrace her, then does something shocking. He presses his lips against hers. This brings her out of her daze, and she returns the kiss. 

“I love you, Annie,” He tells her. 

“I love you too, Fin,” She smiles letting him hold her. Their presences are enough to comfort each other.