Prologue

The forest was aglow in silver light. An owl searching the night was silhouetted in flight against the full moon. Deep in the trees, a lone mockingbird sang its heart hoping for a female to answer his call. In the peace of the night, creatures rustled and leaves danced in the cool breeze. In the distance, the sound of steps could be heard, pounding on the path. The steps grew closer and a dark figure ran into the clearing. It had the body of a man but the persona of a beast. He stopped, raising his head in a primal howl. His frame was tall and muscular; a short furry pelt covered his shoulders and back, spreading past his arms to his hands that had nails like claws. He shook his long hair back as another howl erupted. Perspiration gleamed on his skin as he stood bare chested. He grinned, revealing extended canines as he loped down the path toward his house.

The wolf was always stronger when the moon was full. Its power was seductive, enticing the man to release it. Tonight he had allowed it to run and his blood sang with the wolf within him. He heard other howls echoing through the mountains and recognized the call of his family. His answering howl assured them all was well.