Chap 1

The family camp. Flies, heat, dust, and a dock leading to a cool blue lake. Dad could always be found in his collapsible aluminum chair with a fishing pole in one hand and a Budweiser in the other. Mom would be in the kitchen cutting up an endless supply of watermelon or making sandwiches. And Matthew and I were usually at the old rope swing, seeing who could do the most flips and tricks and land perfectly. Matthew usually won, considering he was on the swim team at his college, and he had won many awards. I was more into softball, though I wasn't a school champ like Matthew.

We always loved coming camping at the end of the summer. Even though it sounds corny as hell, it was great bonding time. We had a secluded spot no one else ever visited when we were here, so it was just two weeks of peace, quiet, and fun. And of course the silly games our parents liked to play.

"Grace! Matthew! Come have lunch!" Mom called. Matthew had just succesfully did three backflips and landed with a cannonball. I cheered for him then winked. "Race ya!"

"Hey, Gracie! That's not fair!"

I laughed, running back to the clearing where my mom was loading bowls full of chili pie. Yum! I jogged to my seat at the old picnic table right as Matthew walked up, scowling.

"You cheated, therefore you didn't win." He plopped down beside me, a smirk on his face. He then proceeded to shake his head like a dog, sprinkling water all over me. Not like I cared, I was already wet anyways.

"Ha! Matt, I can beat you in a fair race too. Do you really want to go there?"

"You're on." He shoved a spoon full of food in his mouth, then grinned. Ugh, boys are so disgusting. Matthew might be older than me, but he sure didn't act like it.

My mom glanced at us both, "So what do you two have planned for this afternoon?"

"Nothing, really" I answered. "I'm beat. You wanna do something, Matt?"

"Well, I was thinking about going hiking, but if you're too tired...." He was baiting me, knowing I wouldn't admit I was too tired to go. And he was right.

"I'm never too tired."

That's how I found myself two hours later, ascending the steep hill we always climbed. It was the only trail in the woods, and we were bound to get lost if we went anywhere else. When we reached the top, though, it was as beautiful as always. When you get there, you realized that you're on top of this huge cliff, and all you see around you are immense rocks and crystal clear water. There's a huge waterfall and the light dances off of it like a mirror. It's absolutely breathtaking.

We sit there awhile, enjoying the view, until Matt annoyingly breaks the silence.

"So, how ya feeling, Gracie? Better?"

I sighed. I did not want to talk about this, but I answered him anyway. "Yes, Matt. I'm doing just fine."

"I'm just asking. It's been four months, little sis. You've gotta move on. Lucus was a jerk, but that doesn't mean you should let him bring you down."

"I'm not, Matthew! Give me a break!"

He nodded and turned his head away. I groaned. "Look, I know you're just looking out for me, and I really appreciate it. I just need some time, okay? I'm trying not to think about it though, I promise."

"I know, I just want you to know I care, and I'm here to talk." After glancing at his watch, he added, "Wanna go back down to camp? Sun will be setting in a couple hours and we probably have chores to do at camp."

I nodded, dusting off my shorts and heading back down the trail.

He was spot-on, as much as I hated to admit it. Now my mind was preoccupied and I couldn't stop Ithinking about Lucus. Matt was right, he was a jerk, but he doesn't even know the whole story. I had dated Lucus for two years, since I was 16. I finally had sex with him on our two year anniversary and it was incredible. It became an everyday thing for us. I wondered why I waited that long for it. Four months later, he dumped me right before graduation and started dating a girl I was supposed to be friends with. Tiffany Adair. I kind of had some trust issues after that. The only people I really trust are Matthew and my best friend, Jaslyn. They're the only two I even talk to anymore. Jaslyn is the only person who knows I had a miscarriage two months after Lucus and broke up. I never told another soul.

My rambling in my head was interrupted as we neared that campsite. I heard people talking who didn't sound like my parents. Who could that be? Maybe a park ranger, but they never really came down here. I looked over to Matt who just shrugged. Needless to say, we were shocked when we came into the clearing to see my parents talking to an older couple, sitting on a Rhino with two tents on back. Oh, boy.