Chapter 16 ~ The Gallo's

Chapter 16

Demetrius slowly got up from the bar stool where he had been sitting while watching the sweet exchange between Kayla and Luca. Helena and Geo left right after the trio did. They were just too happy to even notice he was in the room with them.

He walked to the floor to ceiling windows facing the yard and watched his cousin's little family talking with Alexio and the head of his security team, probably discussing their activities for the day.

He swirled the content of the glass he was holding and slowly raised it to his mouth, deep in thought. The whiskey slowly burned his throat and he went back to the bar to get himself another drink. He knew it's still early to get drunk and he was meeting his mother, Irena later for lunch but he wanted to erase that happy scene he just witnessed.

He clenched his jaw and sat down feeling himself swayed. His instinct was telling him Kayla was just forced into this whole situation but what he just saw bellied that. He has to step up his campaign to win her, won't he? He had gotten close to her and although he knew she's still apprehensive of him, he can feel her slowly letting him in. He had to win her trust.

His thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of his mobile phone.

"Geia, mitera [Hello, mother]," he answered on the 3rd ring.

"Opou einai o gios sas? [Where are you son?]," his mother's soft voice was like a balm to his aching heart.

"Akoma sto spiti tou theiou tou [Still at uncle's house]."

"I'm already at the restaurant. I'll wait for you here. Shall I order for you?"

"The usual, mother. Will be there in a few."

He ended the call and hastily left. His mother is not fond of waiting. At his age, he still gets an earful from Irena Gallo. He just bear it all with a loving tolerance.

He lost his father at an early age and although his uncle Geo was a great father figure, his mother was both father and mother to him. He has become her world. She never remarried.

He arrived at their favorite restaurant in record time and was pointed to where his mother was waiting.

"Ekei pou einai [There you are]," Irena stood up to embrace him. "Echasa ton gio sas."

"I missed you, too, mother," he said kissing her cheeks.

"Where have you been these past weeks? All I can get from you was that you're occupied," she asked while giving a signal to the waiting staff to serve their order.

"Was with theios Geo everyday, mother. You know how he is a beast in business," he winked at her.

"That brother of mine will soon turn all his good hair to grey if he doesn't stop soon. Helena should take him away to travel to stop him from killing himself," she said wistfully.

"Don't worry about it, mother. I'm taking as much load as I can. In fact, all he does these days was to order me around."

His mother laughed delightfully causing male heads to turn to their table. His mother still looks young at her age, pretty much the same with that old photo he kept in his wallet to cover another photo he treasured all his life, a photo of someone he loved with all his heart. He shook himself to return to the present.

He told her before that he won't be an obstacle if she wished to marry again. But she said she buried that part of her heart with his father. She have had suitors before, still have now but she just wasn't interested. He secretly wished, though, that she will turn her attention to his recently widowed godfather whom he loved next to his mother, well, aside from that someone, at least.