Chapter 23. Flicker

Start from the beginning

"Will you let me in?" He asked gently. She stared at him, then opened the door wider. As he walked in, he noticed nothing had changed from a few days ago. There was still a shattered plate in the kitchen, and still no sign of food being eaten.

He watched as she made her way to the couch, and sat down, staring blankly ahead.

Demetri opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. She was an empty shell of what she was just a week ago. Her entire world had been flipped upside down, and turned and contorted. Reality as she knew it would never be the same.

He shrugged off his black coat, hanging it on the chair of her small table, and made his way to the pathetic kitchen. He hunched over, and began to gather large pieces of porcelain. He continued to clean the mess from a few days ago.

How could he say anything to her? What was he going to start with?

"Show me."

The words barely making it past her teeth as she spoke.

"What?" He asked.

She said nothing, causing him to sigh, throwing away more of the glass.

"I don't know if that's something you want to see just yet. You're still adjusting to everything else," He stated, coming to her side.

"You all lied to me. How do I adjust to that?" She asked, looking at her hands. Her eyes were glossed over, but held no sign of sorrow or anger. In fact, he wished she would show something instead of nothing.

"We weren't-"

"Allowed to. I get it," She cut him off, then added, "I don't know why it hurts me so much that you were apart of this big lie. Marge was right. I never should have let you into my life."

Though the words disturbed him, he knew they were destined to meet one way or another. She could hate him for all she wanted, but she needed him. It was just a matter of time before she would realize.

"I know you're upset, and I don't blame you. I just-"

"You want me for power and you want nothing to do with me. I don't understand why you're still here. I know the truth now. I know what I am, although I don't understand it, or how I'm supposed to do it, or if I even want to do it. Everything around me is a lie, and I know I can't escape it like the last time."

"Venus, I know how it looks. I do. And I wish I could make it better. But I don't want you for power Venus. I'm trying my best to do what's best for you, and keep you safe."

"Safe? Safe? Is this," she gestured to the new door, "safe? I was almost killed in an alleyway. I was almost . . . " her eyes widened as she took in the possibilities of all that has happened. "All these bad things that happen to me are your fault!" She was screaming now, her eyes begging for answers.

"I'm doing the best I can! I wasn't allowed to tell you these things or else-"

"Or else it would effect your stupid prophecy. Just stop fighting with Landon. Problem solved."

"It doesn't work that way and you know it."

"I don't know anything anymore!"

"Then just know that I'm here for you. Moira is there for you, and so is Will, and Marge. They kept secrets, as did I, but everything was and is real. They still care for you and the friendship."

"So what about you then? It's strange. You're the biggest disappointment of them all," her voice became a hoarse whisper.

"You know I care for you."