Chapter 4

She took off her shoes and sat on the edge of the bed. On the other side, Rick was standing, watching her.

"Would you be okay here if I left for a few minutes?" he asked.

"Gotta smoke?" She couldn't bring herself to look at him.

"I don't smoke."

She turned her head to look at him over her shoulder, eyes never meeting his, "I'll be fine."

He left without another word. 

She was glad he left; it made her feel more comfortable rather than having to fall asleep with him on the other side. She laid herself down on the bed and closed her eyes as she drifted off.

The lake. 

It was black. 

It always was. 

Not anymore. 

Now, the lake was blue. 

She looked down, and for the first time ever, she could see her own reflection in the water. Something she was never able to do before. Now, when she stood up in the lake, black liquid didn't stain her body, she was clean.

She closed her eyes and inhaled, but just as she did, she heard a rumbling noise coming from behind her. She turned around in fear and gasped, men on horses were rushing towards her with whips in their hands. After staring for a moment too long, she finally found her legs to run, she tried to dash through the water towards land, but couldn't raise her legs high enough or move fast enough. It was almost as if she was running in slow motion.

Leave me alone! She tried to scream but only heard herself in her head.

"Jennifer!" they yelled in unison.

Stop! Please!

"Jennifer!" they yelled louder.

Stay away!

"Jennifer!" Their voices were getting closer, it was only a matter of seconds. 

She couldn't bear it anymore, she dropped to her knees in the lake, exhausted from trying to get away. She turned around to see the horses and men standing above her, one of the men dropped down from the horse, whip in hand stalking towards her like a predator to prey. She couldn't make out his face through her now tear stained eyes as he raised his arm about his head, preparing to strike her.

"Jennifer," he whispered menacingly.

She closed her eyes, and winced, ready for the pain.

"Jennifer! Jennifer wake up!"

Jennifer's eyes fluttered open as she tried to bring herself back to reality. Her eyes whipped around, taking in the room, remembering where she was- and then who she was with. Rick was leaning over her, his hands pinning her shoulders down, his face scrunched in worry.

"It's okay, you're okay." he tried to coax her fully out of her nightmare with his voice.

When she finally accepted where she was, she narrowed her eyebrows at him in anger, brought her hands to his chest and shoved him off of her as hard as she could before she scrambled out of the bed to stand up. 

Without saying word, she turned away from him and put her face in her hands and shook her head slowly. She heard him getting out of the bed. She removed her hands from her face to see him standing right in front of her now as he replaced her hands with his, cupping her face and tilting it up until she allowed her eyes to meet his.