"I told you I'm here for you, Trey," Roland says quietly. "And I will be. I know you're into Bennett. It sucks. But I'll deal with it. In the meantime, just know that any time you see my pain or anger, it's not directed at you. It'll just take time."

As if coming out of a deep thought, he clears his throat and the sudden intensity of the conversation shifts back to Bennett.

"So - how can I help with the Bennett issue?" he asks, and the best friend I have known for years resurfaces.

I push out a resigned breath of frustration and run my hands over my face. The faint scent of Bennett tortures my mind, reminding me of all the intimate details of our night together. I remember his every touch, his every kiss, his every delicious whisper that was so seductive it made me ache. Weston's text flashes in the middle of all of the memories, and I squeeze my eyes shut.

As much as I hate to admit it, somewhere in the past few months, I've developed feelings for Bennett. And now that I have, I want nothing more than to get rid of them.

"I'm done dealing with his bullshit," I mutter. "Help me forget him."

Roland offers up an understanding smile. He holds out a hand and nods towards the kitchen. "Done. Now let's get some food. There's one helluva casserole waiting to be eaten, along with a frantic roommate who's too afraid to try it because she thinks you have food poisoning."

________________________

Roland and I manage to find our way into a new, daily routine. We trade-off picking each other up for swim practices, spend our days at his apartment, and spend the evenings at mine. Most of the time he just sticks around long enough to cook dinner for Jordan and me, but some weekends he stays well into the night as the three of us enjoy a few drinks around a crackling bonfire.

Somewhere along the way, time starts to speed up. I think less about Bennett, and find myself focusing more on my friends and the happiness right in front of me. Each time I get a call that's not from Bennett, it hurts less and less. Each time a memory of him resurfaces, the pain of why he left without saying goodbye after our night together becomes less significant. The sadness ebbs. It eases.

Even though Roland doesn't utter Bennett's name a single time, he somehow manages to help. And before I realize it, almost a full month has passed.

But as much as I try to make my feelings for Bennett go away completely...they don't.

I stare at the calendar taped haphazardly to the front of the refrigerator and count the weeks for a fourth time before sighing. This is the last weekend before Bennett rejoins the team. He'll be at practice on Monday. I haven't heard from him since...

Unwanted thoughts of his naked body, poised and taut above mine, drift into my mind. My skin tingles remembering the way his lips teased every inch of my skin. I grit and push it all aside, tearing my focus from the calendar and yanking the refrigerator door open.

That's done now. I'm done with him.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Jordan reaches around me and grabs her half-eaten pear from the fridge. She leans against the counter and takes a bite, staring up at me expectantly. Unlike when I first moved in, there's not an ounce of nerves or shyness about her. Somehow in the past month I managed to find a way to win over her friendship just as she managed to win over mine.

"Monday's practice," I answer honestly.

She nods slowly. "You got timed trials?"

I run a hand through my hair before swiping up a beer and closing the fridge door.