Determined Directioners

My best friend Kaitlyn and I have been in love with One Direction since the seventh grade. Our sleepovers consisted of videos, pictures, music, gossip, news, etc. about the loves of our lives. Louis, Liam, Harry, Niall, and Zayn were our one and only idols. Back then, we actually thought we had a chance to date one of those dreamy boys. The endless stories on fan fiction websites made us giggle and give us hope that one day, One Direction would love us as much as we loved all of them. But, now Kaitlyn and I are sophomores in high school, and the once realistic dreams of being together with One Direction, have ended. Of course we are still directioners and have sleepovers/One Direction parties all the time. It’s just that, the hope that we once had, is gone. We were just two girls who occasionally hung out with our close friends and struggled to receive good grades. At least, that’s what I thought, until we had a life-changing experience.

“Psst, Kaity!” I handed her my note that was perfectly folded with the name, “Mrs. Payne”, written neatly on the front. She smiled and tucked it into her dark jean pocket, still keeping a close eye on Miss Bupp, who gave us one of her ugly, rude facial expressions. I sat back into my chair, frustrated. English was the worst, but it was one of the few classes I actually shared with Kaity. It was right before lunch, and I couldn’t pay attention for my life. Kaity, on the other hand, was a straight A student and had unbelievable smarts. Also, her ability to write was off the charts! She had an incredible gift, and I was quite jealous. She always used to write cheesy One Direction fan fiction stories that we completely fangirled over when we were kids. Now she is more focused on her History reports and English papers. I stared at her for the rest of class. She had pretty, blue eyes with perfect, brown hair that just passed her shoulders. She was a natural beauty and didn’t need much makeup at all. I’ve always been the insecure one. When I look at myself, I can’t ignore my flaws, but I try to look pass them. My big, brown eyes were nothing special, and my long, dark brown hair reached down to my waist, always getting in the way. Five perfectly painted, green nails suddenly flashed across my face. “Um, Tessa quit staring at me. I’m ready to go to lunch!” Kaitlyn waited with a smile on her face.  “Oops, sorry, let’s go!” I picked up my folders and binders plastered with One Direction pictures and raced toward the parking lot with kaity at my side. The school’s cafeteria food was absolute crap, so kaity and I drove a short distance to Nandos everyday to grab a quick bite and obsess over 1D. We threw our bags into the back of my new, blue mustang that I could barely afford with my weak paycheck at Walmart. Kaity jumped in shotgun. I started the car and pulled out of the filled parking lot. Then I rolled down the windows, put my aviators on, and inserted One Directions album, “Up All Night”. The hot, summer air flowed through my hair as we sang along to, “Tell Me a Lie”. I glanced over at Kaity, who was totally in her own world, jamming out. Her arms were over her head, her hair was blowing in her face, and she was singing at the top of her lungs. I laughed and did the same exact thing.