Prologue

Aphrodite

I'm not perfect. But I was designed to be. Once upon a time, Zeus sculpted me from foam and death. He made me into a puppet. A box. A symbol. A thing designed to be perfectly obedient to him.

I bent and twisted beneath his onslaught of lightning and thunder, but when the storm cleared, I remained. Fragile and broken, but still alive. His death released me from his vision of perfection, leaving me free to find my own. That's when I discovered how far from perfect I truly was.

I've been called promiscuous, shallow, arrogant, self-centered, annoying, and worse by beings who physically can't lie. They're not wrong. I'm riddled with flaws. I am neither strong nor brave. I cling too tightly, love too freely, and fear that without my beauty, there's nothing left of me. Nothing real.

But life goes on, regardless of my uncertainty. As time passed, I had no choice but to learn to stand on my own two legs, shaky as they might be.

Here's what I've learned. I'm nobody's statue or posable doll. I am neither a box nor a symbol. Yes, I've been loved by war, struck by lightning, hugged by spring, and mauled by the sea, but I'm more than a victim. I am greater than my story.

I'm real, flaws and all, and that's terrifying. Every day, I become someone else. Someone stronger. Wiser. Better. I'm becoming myself.

But that process isn't always pretty.