II - Pudding

January, 1996

January, 1996.

Harry Potter walked into the Great Hall at Hogwarts for the first breakfast of the winter term, behind his best friends, Ron and Hermione. They were arguing in an intense but good-natured way, although Harry had no idea what the topic was. He had stopped listening to them out a few minutes previously, and had since been walking behind them only semi-consciously, lost in his own thoughts.

It had been a far less relaxing Christmas break than he had hoped for, although he was grateful that Arthur Weasley, Ron's father, had largely recovered. Mr. Weasley had been attacked by "Lord" Voldemort's snake, Nagini, and had nearly died because of it.

Once again, that bastard attacks me through the people I care about, he thought. Oh, Harry knew that there was a political dimension to the attack on Mr. Weasley. He was perhaps the most prominent person in the Ministry of Magic who cared at all about Muggles, their interests and their affairs. He was also vocally opposed to the continuing influence held in the Ministry by the Death Eaters, Voldemort's followers from the last Wizarding War. And the new war which was just beginning, whether people believed Harry or not. But Harry was keenly aware how much Voldemort hated him personally, and he firmly believed the strike at Arthur Weasley was personal as much, if not more, than it was political.

Harry sat down at the Gryffindor table with his friends, distractedly grabbing some eggs, bangers, and potatoes from the breakfast spread and putting them on his plate. He absentmindedly picked at them, not listening to his friends' conversation, and scanning the Great Hall unsuccessfully for a glimpse of long blonde hair.

The girl he was looking for was the other source of distraction for Harry over the Christmas holidays. The kiss he shared under the mistletoe with Luna Lovegood just prior to the end of the fall term was near the top of his thoughts throughout the holiday, either due to him thinking about it and what it meant, or due to him trying to avoid thinking about it at all, and usually failing.

His first kiss had been with Luna Lovegood. It still surprised him, not only who the kiss was with, but how nice it felt, how right it felt. Those moments under the mistletoe with Luna seemed absolutely perfect to him.

And he had no idea what it all meant.

He supposed he should have spoken with Ron and Hermione about it over the holidays. They might have given him some perspective on the matter. But he didn't want to take focus away from Mr. Weasley. And he wanted to avoid the embarrassment of the talking about the kiss with his friends for as long as possible.

Not that Harry was embarrassed about having kissed Luna. He was certain about that. She was a good friend, understanding, and fun to hang out with. And cute. And a good kisser, he thought. But he didn't want to hear Ron tease him about his first kiss. Or worse, ask for a detailed description. And he certainly didn't want Hermione picking over his whole relationship with Luna in microscopic detail. Not yet.