Reunion Special

Story #2

A/N: someone's having some second thoughts, can you forgive and forget?

11 years, 5 months since I left college.

7 years, since I graduated uni.

6 years, 8 months since I married my best friend.

4 years, 7 months since the birth of brianna.

2 years, since Patrick joined his sister.

1 year, 3 months since my first book was published.

4 months since we moved back to Stamford.

3 weeks since I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child.

2 days since we finalised the papers to our new home.

But only 1 minute since my heart nearly stopped when Stacey Stringfellow started walking towards me.

My palms started to shake as I held onto little Patrick’s hand that fraction tighter, why was I Stupid enough to think that after all these years Stacey wouldn’t still be here. She still looked the same, pretty and thin. Some things never change.

The aura of her presence still screamed bitch to me but that smile she had slammed across her face looked pleasant maybe even inviting. I looked for the fastest escape route but that was blocked of by some old codger with a wheelbarrow. Typical Stamford. Never fails to shit on you.

I looked to find my husband still ordering our food inside the chippy being distracted by Brianna who is showing him her ballet moves. I'm desperate for him to notice me but I lost all hope when i noticed Stacey was now standing a few feet away rooted in the one spot giving me a confusing look.

“Rae -Rae earl?” She questioned me.

“Stacey” Yes.. I may of said that a bit bluntly, but I wasn’t going to act like this girl was my best friend when she made me college years a living hell.

“H-how are y-you? Who’s this little fella?” Is she nervous?

“I’ve been good.” Yup still blunt. “This is my son Patrick” this time I managed a smile as I looked down at my little boy kicking around a loose stone.

“Are you living back in Stamford again?”

What’s with all the daft questions? This women never had the time of day for me now she is trying to strike a conversation with me. Sigh. 'Be nice Rachel'.

“Yeah we moved back few months back, being a writer it’s easy to pack up and move.. What about you?” Ok, that wasn’t to bad. I wonder if she noticed my eye roll.

“Moved back about 8 years ago actually. I’m actually a hairdresser down at clippers hairdressing studio and Simmy manages the local sports shop” I gasped at her reply. What did she just say…

“Simmy? Simmy-Simmy? Your married him? Well that doesn’t surprise me, you guys acted so much 'ALIKE'” this time I defiantly know she saw the eye roll because the smile faded and her eyes hit the floor. Maybe I was being to harsh.

“Look Rae… I know nothing I can say now will replace my actions when I was 17 but I want to apologise. I was a cow, I acted awful to you and I just want you to know that I’m sorry. I’m not the person I was before, since having my son braylen I really had a change of heart. For his sake and mine -even Simmy has changed. We understand what we did was wrong and if there is anyway we could make it up to you, we would be happy to do so…” I tried to close my mouth before I caught flies but I couldn’t believe what I just heard.

“Stacey… I-I… I’m sorry did you just say sorry?” she just nodded in reply to me. I felt the disbelief wash over my body.

“I forgive you… Wow… Did I really just say that? YES! Yes I did.. Stacey I forgive you. It is over a decade later and I’m glad your still not a cow” I couldn’t help but laugh at my own words.

“Thanks Rae, even though I don’t deserve it”.

“Everyone deserves a second chance Stacey. I’m just glad you’ve got the courage to say it. Means a lot, honestly” Her arms were now around me.

Her fucking perfect hair slapped my face but I didn’t care because Stacey Stringfellow was actually hugging me NICELY. I actually embraced her back for a few seconds before I heard the chippy doorbell chime.

“What going on?” The strong voice of my husband echoed a bit louder then he intended, but I think he was in just as much shock as I was.

“Finn..” Her voice was high as she let me go and caught the eye of my confused husband who was holding our daughter and the food.

“Stacey…” He shifted his body towards me me and continued. “Babe what’s going on?” All I could to was giggle, if a strong enough breeze gushed through he would be knocked on his arse.

“Stacey and I were just having a catch up love” his blank face didn’t change.

“Look I really need to head off but if your willing to catch up more you can pop over to the salon I’m there most days. I’d love to see you again and Rae I truly am sorry” and with that she continued her journey down the street but not before turning and waving goodbye. My state of stock was slowly seeping away.

“What the fuck was that” Finn whispered in my ear and all I could do was laugh.

“Oh finn… Never mind. Now are we going to head to the park for lunch or not?” I ask attempting to push him in the direction of the park but his feet seem to be stubborn.

"Come on this pregnant mummy needs food”.

“Yeah daddy I’m hungry to” brianna always knew when to speak at the right time.

“Ok, ok we’re going but you girl are going to tell me what all that was about tonight aye” oh his devilish smile still got me hot under the collar, I didn’t plan on explaining anything to him unless it was the details of his body. But then again, maybe I might tell him until then I liked this frazzled Finn of mine.

I smiled walking to the park rethinking mine and Stacey’s conversation.

Looking a the tips of my hair I decided that I was in a desperate need for a haircut.