1 - Replacement

Dr.Mahonie >>>>>

Dr Mahonie was a short, balding and utterly hopeless man. It was a wonder he got a job here – He did nothing to calm your nerves, as he spoke with a stutter and had a bead of sweat that had permanently imbedded itself to his forehead. Then again, he had spent his life analysing crazy people.

   “You wanted to see me?” I said, checking the velvet seat for any chewing gum before I sat down. Callie had a tendency for sticking them where they might annoy other human beings.

   “Y-yes, actually I did. I’m so sorry Sybil, but-but…” He took a sip of his water before continuing “I’m afraid I’m leaving.”

   He said it with so much pain, as if I would actually miss him. I thought about the two years I had spent in his office while he judged me and buried into my mind to find out what made me a freak. Of all the times he had told me my mother would not be coming too see me, because she was ‘busy’. In a way, I felt sorry for him because he obviously thought he had made a difference.

   “Wow, that’s…too bad?” I said, unsure of what to say without sounding too overjoyed.

   Dr Mahonie cleared his throat “Well, I know we haven’t made much progress into your – ah – condition, but I can assure you it’s been a pleasure working with you.” I almost groaned at his last sentence. Made us sound like work buddies or something. Did I shake his hand now?

   “So…Who’s your replacement?” I said it with as much indifference as possible.

   Mr Mahonie smiled a bit “Dr. Hart will be replacing me. I’m sure you will like him; he is very good at his job. Infact, you can meet him now…” He began to speak into his earpiece, presumably telling a nurse to send up the new psychologist.

   “He’ll be here in a sec-”

   There was a huge crash upstairs that made the floorboards rattle and the ceiling shake so much a bomb could have gone off. The door to the office banged open, and a very flustered looking Clarence was standing there, blood on her left hand.

   “Callie…out of isolation…hit Richard…Upstairs…Now!” She gasped, doubled over as she tried to get her breath back.

   “Not again!” exclaimed Dr Mahonie as he struggled to get his podgy body out from behind the desk. He ran to the door as fast as his stumpy legs would allow, and paused for a second to look back at me.

   “Just wait here, I’ll be back…”

   “Wait! What-.”

   He slammed the door shut before I could get another word in. I slumped back on the seat, making it creak a little. I twiddled my thumbs as I waited for the new Psychologist to walk in, and prayed he would be nothing like Dr.Mahonie.

   I gazed silently around the room as the thumping subsided above. The walls needed a new coat of paint; it was chipping in places, revealing the stones underneath. The only nice things in here were the plaques with pictures of previous residents above, children who had grown up to be firemen or doctors. It was reminder that good things could come out of Cherry Hills.

   Someone should show that to my mom. It would be nice to see her after two years.

   “Excuse me, are you Sybil?”

   My head snapped around to see where the sound had come from. A sheepish looking man stood at the door, eyes cast downwards. His name tag read Dr. Hart, but he couldn’t be the new psychologist.

   He was too…good looking.

   As he shuffled from side to side, I realized his shoes where falling apart, much like the rest of his clothes. His hair made him look like he had been dragged through a hedge backwards and the tell-tale stubble on his chin said he hadn’t shaved in about a week. Still, he made it work in a care-free kind of way. Green eyes stared at me questioningly, and I had to stop gawking to answer his question.

   “Yeah, uh, I’m Sybil.” I croaked, and he shot me a lopsided grin before sitting in the seat opposite me. It gave way a little as he slung his legs over the arm of the chair.

   “Well, it’s really nice to meet you.” He said and stuck his arm out for me to shake. I took it, and he squeezed my hand lightly before letting go.

   “So, I’m here to help you find out your problem, right?” He inquired. I nodded, but I didn’t believe he would once he found out my…symptoms.

   “You can try…” And as if it seemed relevant, I said “I killed my best friend.”

   Mr. Hart gazed at me, his carefree expression gone “I know.”

   “You…Know?”

   “Yes, I know. But I’m still going to help you.”

   I shook my head, unsure of why he’d even want to. Didn’t he want to know how it happened, see if im sane enough to be around? I could tell him, if I had to. I remembered it vividly.

   *Flashback*

   “Sybil, get over here. You don’t know what you’re missing!”

   I stopped licking my ice-cream for just a minute to look over at where Riley stood. He was peering over the edge of the cliff, toes dangling off the edge.

   “Riley Dawson get away from there!” I knew I sounded like his mom, but I don’t know what I’d do if he got hurt “You’re too close!”

   Riley scoffed. He was fearless, but did the stupidest things “You’re not my mom Sybil. You have to take a look, its great!”

   “Sure, because waves and rocks are so fascinating.” The sarcasm shone strong and true through my voice, but I went over anyway. He knew I would.

   I gazed at the waves and wondered what Riley found so great about them. Perhaps it was the way the waves splashed against the rocks, or maybe it reminded him of when he used to go out fishing with his dad before he died of cancer.

   Suddenly, we were not the only ones there. A third person – a girl in fact – stood next to Riley, a mischievous grin on her face I didn’t like. Her red curls tangled around her face, and her turquoise eyes gleamed.

   I screamed “H-how did you get there?” I asked. She just gave me a taunting smile.

   “I walked. Jesus Sybil and you’re supposed to be the smart one!” said Riley. I shushed him. “Not you stupid, her!”

   “Her?” he laughed nervously, and I realized with horror he couldn’t see her. Again, she waved and her mouth pulled up at the corner in a sly smile. She moved towards Riley.

    “No!” I yelled, and she put her finger on his shirt. Without thinking, I pushed her.

    Riley's eyes widened in shock, and he tilted backwards, as if in slow motion. Before I could catch him, he was tumbling down to the rocks below. Then it hit me. I hadn’t pushed her. I had pushed him.

   My mouth was open in a scream, and Dr. Harts hand was on my shoulder, his green gaze like a wave of calm.

   “Calm down Sybil. Why are you screaming?” He said in a hushed voice.

   “I-I…” I shook my head, gasping for breath. “May I go?” My voice sounded strangled, as if I’d swallowed barbed wire.

   He hesitated before nodding “Of course.”

   Before I could walk out the door, Dr. Hart spoke “Oh, and Sybil?”

   “Hmm?”

   He looked up from his paperwork “Your mother wants to see you tomorrow.”