Chapter 22 - Matt's Story

Start from the beginning

"I knew something was wrong. When I got home, my father..." Matt swallowed to stop himself choking on his words and Kristen smiled slightly at him to help him continue. "My father was looking at me funny. He knew something was wrong too. He looked suspicious about something but I didn't know what he was thinking. I told my parents that I was going to go upstairs and sleep but my mother insisted that I go and say hello to my sister first..."

Matt coughed and felt his eyes water slightly at the mention of Aimee. He could do this. He had to tell her the truth. He had to tell her the story. Kristen shuffled closer to him and touched his fingers with her own, nodding her head. Matt bowed his own head but carried on speaking once he'd caught his breath.

"I told her that I really didn't feel up to touching or speaking to anyone. I just wanted to go to bed. She refused to take no for an answer. I was really close to Aimee and we spent every spare moment together. She was the best sister ever. She was so little and vulnerable and sweet. Everyone loved her. She'd been having touble in school with this boy who wouldn't leave her alone and she'd been telling me about it to keep me up to date so that if he got too much I could step in.

"By this point I was shaking really badly. I could hardly control myself. I felt like I was on fire. I wanted to rip my clothes off and lie in a bucket of ice. I didn't want Aimee catching whatever I had but my mother loved seeing our playful relationship and demanded that I go in the other room to see her.

"When I went in there, I saw my dad looking at me funny. Aimee wasn't in the room like I thought she would be. I thought she'd be playing with her dolls or something. My father sat down on the sofa but never said a word to me. He just watched me carefully.

"I was about to turn around to go back upstairs when something ploughed into me and took me unawares. Something inside me just exploded." Matt's voice broke. He hardly felt Kristen's fingers any more. He was back in that moment, watching as if re-living it again. He watched as someone tackled him to the ground and he ripped out of his body, painting the living room with his own blood and skin. "I...I didn't know what had happened. It was like I blacked out. One minute I was a boy, the next minute I was stood over a little girl's body, covered from head to toe in black fur.

"I could hardly believe what had happened. Aimee. My little Aimee. She lay so still on the floor. I thought she was just playing. I thought it was just a dream until I saw the pool of blood coming from a gaping wound in her chest. I'd practically ripped her in half. She was so little. She never even had a chance.

"Before I knew it, my father had tackled me, trying to get me to the floor, but it was too late. The shock of my sister just threw me completely and the beast tore him apart. I threw him...I...He hit the stairs and just stopped breathing.

"I didn't know what I was doing. I couldn't control myself. It was like I was watching someone else in my body possessing me and killing my family. My mother started screaming when she came in and ran at me with a kitchen knife. She sliced me but I was already on top of her. I crushed her with my weight. I snapped her neck. She lay with her arms draped around Aimee like she was protecting her."

Matt felt tears fall off his chin but he didn't bother to wipe them away. He couldn't even bear to look up into Kristen's face.

He was a murderer.

He killed his own family.

He was a monster.

He deserved to die.

His voice shook as as closed his eyes in pain. "I ran straight out of the house and killed the first animal I saw. It was a cow, fortunately, which had strayed into one of the nearby fields. After that, I started to slowly adjust to what was occurring to me. No one had every explained the curse to me before. I had no idea that it was going to come on just like that.