Chapter 1: Blitz

((So this is based on the movie version of Newsies! I don't own any of the original characters, but I do own Blitz and several other characters to be introduced later. Please don't steal my characters or ideas! Thanks! -Wolf))

--------------------

Chapter 1: Blitz

I stared out through the barred windows of the Refuge at the dark night sky, thinking about what I had seen that day. Mr. Hearst and Mr. Pulitzer had raised the price of the papes up from 50 cents per hundred to 60 cents per hundred. It was an outrage! The Newsies were furious and had decided to strike. They would not put up with Hearst and Pulitzer's unfair raise in the price. The leader of the strike was the famous "Cowboy," otherwise known as Jack Kelly. Apparently, David, a Newsie that was new to the trade was helping him along. I only heard bits and pieces of the story, but I did know that a Newsie with a gimp leg, I think they called him Crutchie, had been soaked by the Delancey brothers and brought here to the refuge.

My name is Jamie Conlon, but no one calls me that. In fact, if anyone did, I'd soak 'em. Anyone that calls me anything calls me Blitz. I'm average size, so most people don't even give me a second glance, but that's their mistake. I'm faster than most kids my age and and I can pack a hell of a punch. I've had to survive on my own for a very long time, and in Brooklyn none the less, so the only way that I've stayed alive is by fighting for food and such.

A sudden commotion in the room next to mine jerked me from my thoughts. I peered out the window and into the darkness, looking in through the window of the next room to see what was happening. I inhaled sharply as I saw the boy right outside the window, only a few feet away, dangling by a rope around his waist in front of the window of the room full of boys. "What the hell?" I growled, unable to see the boy's face as he tapped on the window. I could hear the boys in the next room calling for the crip, Crutchie. A moment later, I watched as the boy turned slightly to the side and I realized who he was. "Hey! Jack! What're you doing here?" Crutchie asked. The boy hanging outside the window was none other than Cowboy, Jack Kelly. "We're here ta spring ya!" Said Jack with a grin. "And guess who else is here? Davey!" Looking up, I saw a boy kneeling on the edge of the roof holding the other end of Jack's rope. "Hiya Davey!" shouted Crutchie.

"Shush it ya numbskull," I hissed, knowing Warden Snyder, the man in charge of the Refuge would have heard him. Jack spun around to look at me. He tilted his head to the side as he looked at me, the cowboy hat around his neck sliding sideways as well. I realized why he looked confused. In the Refuge, Snyder only gets you what you need to survive. The rest of the money that's given to him by none other than Teddy Roosevelt, he spends on himself. To save money, Snyder had taken a set of clothes from one of the boys next door and given them to me to wear. Therefore, I was wearing black pants that stopped a little ways below my knees with dark brown suspenders and a light brown shirt. My long dirty-blonde hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and then tucked up beneath a black Newsies cap. In other words, I looked like a boy, but sounded like a girl.

I rolled my eyes at Jack, then froze, hearing someone stomping up the stairs. "Scram! It's Snyder!" I growled to Jack and David. I didn't hear the rest of Jack and Crutchie's conversation, cause at that moment, Snyder came storming into my room. "What's going on up here?" snarled the Warden as he stomped up to me. "Nothing o'course," I answered flatly, my heavy New York accent clear in my words. Growing up in Brooklyn had given me a permanent one. "Nothin' exciting eva happens here." Snyder narrowed his eyes. "Exactly, so something must be happening for everyone to be shouting," he growled. I shrugged, then noticed his eyes go to the window. Instinctively, I placed myself between Snyder and the window. Snyder smirked. "Step aside, girl," he said slowly. "No," I hissed. With that, Snyder lunged forwards, his fist connecting with my jaw. I stumbled backwards, not expecting him to punch me. Spitting out a string of curses, I did the only thing I could think of. I punched him hard in the stomach, kicked his legs out from underneath him, then took the metal serving tray my food had been brought to me on and smashed it down on the man's head. Snyder let out a groan and did not get back up.

"Shit," I hissed. Now I didn't know what to do. My instinct was to protect Jack. The Newsies needed him. Me on the other hand... Nobody needed me. When Snyder woke up, I'd be done for. I looked at the door and formulated a plan. If I stuck around, I'd be in for it big time... So after a moment of hesitation, I grabbed the handful of money that I kept hidden away from my life before the Refuge, shoved it into my pocket, then ran out the door. I slipped silently through the halls until finally, I ran out the door and out into the streets. Freedom.

((So what do you guys think? This is my first Newsies fan fiction so please give me some input! Please, please, please, vote and comment! Depending on the votes/comments/reads, I will decide if I want to continue this fanfic or if I want to take it down))