Saved?

A loud bang echoes through out the area, causing a ring deafening my hearing. My eyes open wide, staring ahead of me as I am unable to move. I try to scream again but I am unable too. I choke on my own breath as if someone just sucked it out of me. This harsh, cold wind hits me in the chest, winding me as this tortures pain attacks inside me. I bring my hands up to my burning chest, pulling them back to reveal blood. 

I didn't shoot

I couldn't shoot

Which means...

"Dan no!" I hear Phil cry as I drop to my knees.

I was the one who was shot 

The cold air continues to fill up inside my lungs as if it was water drowning me. I try to control my breathing that is all over the place. Causing my head to feel light-headed and gravity pulls the rest of my body towards the ground.

"Should have shot when you had the chance." Charlie laughs before grabbing the gun I dropped and aiming it towards Phil. "Now lets finish-"  Charlie pauses as this muffled siren is heard in the distance. 

"Dude lets get out here!" The guy who shot me says. Charlie stares at Phil with the gun pointed right between his eyebrows. A single tear falls down Phil's cheeks as he waits for him to pull the trigger. Instead he gets thrown to the ground and all of them run over to the van as the siren grows louder. As they drive away a police car pulls up beside us as another one follows the van.

"Are you two alright?" A police asks as he steps out of his car.

"No, some guys took us and shot my friend over there." Phil says, the panic in his voice clear.

"Don't worry. Everything is going to be okay. We are going to help you two." The officer says to Phil while the other stands above me. A strong metallic taste fills my mouth, causing me to gargle on my own blood. The officer turns to his walkie-talkie to inform someone to call an ambulance. 

"Dan!" Phil calls out to me as he rushes over after the officer unties him. He falls to his knees beside me. His hands hover over me, hesitating to touch me. He then pulls off his jumper and replaces it with my hands, pressing it hard against my chest. My eyes shut from the pain as everything inside of me feels like it's melting away. Phil lifts my head up  and tilts it. Blood trickles from my mouth and onto Phil as he holds me in his lap. "Dammit Dan. I told you to shoot." Phil says, tears falling down on my cheeks from him. That tear stinging feeling fills my eyes but I am unable to cry. "I'm so sorry." Phil apologizes as his hand runs along my blood and tear stained cheek. I open my eyes to look above him, focusing on what I've been watching all night.

"Y-your numbers... They... they are high a-again." I say, choking on the air around me.

"Numbers? What num-" Phil pauses. His eyes widen as he looks above me. "What is that?" He asks.

"Those num-numbers above my head?" I ask. Phil nods his head. "Those rep-resent the t-time of my life in-in seconds." I say. Phil's face turns into horror as he continues staring above me. "That's why I- I was following you. Your numbers were low and- and I wanted to save you." I say. Phil shakes his head in disbelief. "I- I saved you." I repeat to hear myself say it. I attempt to smile. I did what I wanted to. I saved him from being shot and saved his life. "It's- it's too bad I-I had to die." I say. He waves his hand above my head, blinks hard a few times, and continues staring for a few seconds before looking back down at me. I watch as the structure of his face relaxes in a nerving way before a small smile forms.

"Dan. If what you are saying is true then- then you are not going to die." Phil says. I look up at him. "Your seconds are high. I don't know how much, or what this even is, but you are going to live." Phil adds. I press my hand against Phil's jumper that is on my chest. I guess he shot me in a place where I had a chance of surviving, and I did. "You are going to be okay." He adds. I smile even wider hearing that, letting myself relax in Phil's arms despite the pain. The world around me suddenly turning black.