Chapter 10 - Just friends.

Start from the beginning

"You okay?" Darcy asks, apparently noticing my drop in mood.

"Yeah," I reply with a small shrug.

"Let's change the subject," she suggests. I don't object and so she continues on with, "so what's going on between you and Beck?"

"Um... what?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at her as her grin turns into a smirk.

"You heard."

"Nothing's going on between me and Beck," I tell her honestly. "We're just-"

"Friends," she interrupts, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, so you keep saying."

"Because it's true!" I exclaim, and this time she shushes me and points to the door. I roll my eyes.

"Alex... you seem to be forgetting something," she tells me.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm your best friend," she informs me as if I'm not already aware of this fact. "I know you better than you know yourself."

"Not about this, apparently," I sigh and shake my head at her.

"We'll see," she says, lifting her chin stubbornly.

"Whatever," I laugh.

"Come on," she says, apparently not willing to give up. "You're telling me that if Beck were to ask you on a date you'd say no?"

"Yes... no," I frown, confused. "I mean, yes I'd say no."

"Why?"

"Um, because I know next to nothing about him... why are you being so pushy with this?" I ask, not understanding her reasoning.

She barely knows the guy. I barely know the guy. Why is this so important to her?

"Because he makes you happy," she says, nudging my knee with hers. "And I've not seen that in a while."

"What are you talking about? I'm always happy," I tell her. Or, at least, I'm not always unhappy.

"Yeah, but not because of a guy... not since-" she cuts off but I know exactly who she's talking about.

Fucking Jonah.

I sigh.

"Look," I say, turning to face her fully to make sure she's listening. "Yes, Beck seems like a decent guy. He's easy to get along with, he makes me laugh, he-"

"Breaks Tony's face for you, fixes random household appliances for you..." she trails off and raises an eyebrow at me. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, yes, all that. But I've been with guys like him before, Darce. More than once, you know? It's not just the places that they don't want to be tied down to."

"Beck might be different. You said it yourself, you don't know anything about him," she says. I shrug.

"He might be," I agree before shaking my head. "But it doesn't even matter. We're still just friends and, besides, he's hung up on another girl anyway."

"Who? Since when?" she asks.

"I don't know. Some girl he met before he moved here," I shrug. "I've got enough crap to deal with without getting caught up in that web."

Darcy sighs and slumps her shoulders slightly, clearly unhappy with this news.

"Besides," I continue, "being single is much easier anyway. I'm like a lone wolf or whatever that saying is... no drama to worry about."

"Whatever you say, Al," she says in exasperation, rolling her eyes.

"But while we're on the topic of guys..." I say, deciding to turn the tables onto her. "What's up with Mitchell?"

"Ugh," she immediately groans, slumping down further. "I don't even know. He's being super nice whenever we have to work the same shift, too nice. I don't trust it."

"Maybe it was the apple to his head," I laugh, pointing to my forehead. "Must've knocked some wires straight or something."

"Maybe," she mumbles, a look passing through her eyes that immediately has me smacking her on the back of the head.

"Ow! The hell was that for?" she asks, rubbing the back of her head.

"No," I say, pointing a finger at her. "Nuh-uh."

"What?"

"Whatever that look was, I don't approve," I inform her.

"What look? There was no look!" she denies

"There was definitely a look," I state, taking note of how her cheeks tinge pink.

This time, I smack her arm.

"Ow! Stop hitting me!"

"Well then stop liking him!" I retort.

"I don't!" she denies.

"You lie!" I accuse, narrowing my eyes at her in what I hope to be an intimidating stare.

"He's a dick!"

"Which is precisely why you shouldn't like him!"

"I don't like him."

"Yeah, you do."

She looks at me for a few seconds before wincing slightly and sighing.

"Yeah... maybe I do." She holds up her hand with her index finger and thumb almost touching. "Maybe a little." I go to hit her again and she holds her hands up in defence. "I never said I was going to do anything about it," she continues. "He's still a cheating dickface and I want nothing to do with him. He's just... I don't know," she sighs, "Mitch, I guess."

I raise an eyebrow at her and she gives out an exasperated huff.

"I know, I know. I'm pathetic," she grumbles.

I watch her for a few more seconds before sighing and throwing an arm around her shoulders.

I remember the day the two of them broke up as if it were only yesterday. My best friend was heartbroken and I was ready to murder the guy; she didn't deserve what he did, not at all. I just want her to move on and forget he exists.

"Don't worry," I tell her. "We can be pathetic together."

We spend the next twenty minutes talking about anything other than the guys in our lives before deciding that we should probably get some sleep.

"Hey, Al?" Darcy speaks up just as I'm drifting off to sleep.

"Yeah?" I mumble.

"You know that the point of a date is to get to know a person, right?"

I groan and send a pillow hurtling in her direction.

"I'm just saying," she laughs, before the two of us finally fall off to sleep.

(Hey guys!! So here's chapter 10 :D I know it's fairly short and not a lot happens (sorry about that) but I wanted to give a bit of an insight into what was happening with Alex and Darcy :)

Anyways, thanks for reading!! I hope you enjoyed the chapter :) I also hope you like the characters!! Sorry for any mistakes in this chapter, I have quickly read through but I've probably missed some somewhere. I'll smooth them out when I go through and edit the story.

So, yeah, I don't really know what else to say other than if you did like the chapter then don't forget to Vote/Comment/Add/Follow as it'd be much appreciated, thanks! :D Also! I'm so close to 1,000 followers which is just crrraaazzyyy :O :D

Um, so yeah, I'm not sure when the next update will be but I'll try and get it posted ASAP :)

Okay, so I think that's all I have to say for now so until next time, byee!!!)