Chapter 2 - I miss her.

Chapter 2 – I miss her.

Beck's POV

I spend a total of four days and four nights on the road, following my feet to wherever they feel like taking me. For the most part, I stick to the cover of trees so that I can travel in wolf form, which is always much faster and more fun that walking as a human, but I do occasionally have to change back if the trees start running a bit too thin. The last thing I need is to be spotted by a bunch of humans who start shooting their mouths off about a random wolf they spotted trotting down the backroads of town-nowhere, because that's where I seem to be right now: in the middle of fucking nowhere. I don't mind too much, though. In fact, the smaller and quieter the place, the easier it is for me to stay under cover. Living in the countryside is a hell of a lot easier than some big city when you're a werewolf, even if the people are usually a lot nosier.

During the nights, I find somewhere surrounded by trees to set up camp for a few hours so I can get a bit of sleep before I set off again. It's not glamorous, I know, but then my life's never really been that glamorous before. I make do with what I've got and if I haven't got a lot then I just have to suck it up and deal, there's no point in complaining. On the fourth night I'm fairly lucky, though, as I set up camp not far away from a small lake. I'm fairly certain I'm on privately owned property right now, if the barbed wire fencing and 'trespassing' signs are anything to go off, but I don't really care. I stink. I've not had a proper wash in four days now and there's no way I'm going to pass up this opportunity.

If some crazy farmer guy comes running at me with a shotgun then so be it.

I quickly drop my bag to the floor and dig through it for my shampoo and a clean shirt and boxers. I'll have to make do with my jeans, despite the hole on the knee now being bigger than my fist and the fact that they're covered in mud and grass stains.

I really need to get some new jeans.

Once I've got everything I need I quickly clamber up the nearest tree and hook my bag onto one of the branches, not wanting to take any chances of it being stolen. When you've not got a lot it makes you a lot more inclined to protect what little you do have.

Dropping down to the floor again, I snatch up the shampoo and my clean clothes before heading in the direction of the lake, carefully climbing through the wire so I don't catch my jeans on it. The hole is big enough as it is.

With one last check of the perimeter to make sure that there's no one around, I strip off my clothes and jump into the water, leaving my clothes sitting a little way away on the grass to stop them from getting damp.

Goosebumps dot along my arms as soon as the cold water hits my skin, but I quickly get used to the temperature and duck my head under too. I've spent my entire life washing in lakes and streams and so it's pretty easy for me to adapt to the cold now, it doesn't really bother me anymore.

My lips tug into a slight smirk without my permission as I think of Lucy and her undying hatred for the stream next to the cave. It was always freezing to her, even in the middle of summer, and she never got used to the idea of me washing in it every day. According to her, I was going to give myself pneumonia. It wasn't even that cold.

The smirk slips off my face as I think of Lucy. I wonder what she's doing right now, if she's missing me as much as I miss her.

Probably not, the irritating voice at the back of my mind tells me. She's probably too busy with Justin.

I wince at the images that thought conjures up in my mind, making me reach for the shampoo for a distraction. There's really not much of it left and so I have to use all of it and make do with what I've got, throwing the empty bottle over to where my clothes sit.