26. He's Gone?

Ehh. I feel like updating. XD 

Chapter 26

The school hated me, except a few, they all hated me for how I treated their precious king. If you ask me, he wasn't mature enough to be a king. He was more like a prince, if you wanted to call him royalty at all.

The days were long and horrendous. More messages left at our eating table. That place had become the shrine to the hatred for Maria Guadalupe Floretta.

But hey. I wasn't really paying attention. Each day that dragged by meant another closer to the Dance. Before, I wasn't concerned, but just thinking about going now excited me. Thursday morning, Ms. Karp announced the list of people who hadn't given their character they would be for the dance. I waited for my name to be called.

But it wasn't.

My hand went up. "Ms. Karp. Are you sure my name's not on the list?" I asked.

Ms. Karp browsed the list, and shook her head. "You're not on here. Why? Should you be? It says here that…oh." She paused. "See me after class." Was all she said as she turned around and set the list down on her desk. "Now, on to other announcements…"

Five minutes later, the bell signaling Homeroom was over sounded.

"I'm told to give this to you." She handed me an envelope. The envelope was actually very familiar. I'd seen it before. They came with the boxes Caroline had sent over for…that guy. And also, I'd seen it that time…when…he-Augh! What was wrong with me? Refusing to just say his name?

I shook my head, stuffing the envelope into my backpack and heading to the next class.

When classes were over, I went back to my dorm.

My phone rang. I already knew who it was before answering. "Hello?"

"Hey Mary! How are you? Did you get my letter?" Caroline.

"I have, but I haven't read it yet." I said, setting my backpack on my desk and plopping down on my bed with a gusty sigh.

"Oh, no worries. Just come by my place Saturday morning. I've got your costume." She sounded too happy.

Oh please lord, do not let it be a princess outfit! "Ah, Caroline, I appreciate the offer, but I can't possibly-"

"Oh Mary. I just want to repay you so much for helping me. Could you just accept it? I mean, it's already bought and waiting for you."

Ugh. There was reason. There was such sound reason behind that. How could I argue with it!?

Grudgingly, I answered, "Fine. I'll see you Saturday."

---'--,--@

The next day was quite hectic at the end. Everyone was too excited about tomorrow to actually pay attention to the grudge they held against me. It was a bit of a relief, not being the center of attention.

Every class passed by smoothly.

But then English came around. The look of pure hatred shone in Gela's eyes as she stomped up to my desk.

"You! It's all your fault! All you fault!" She emphasized her latter sentence with stomping one high-heeled foot on the floor.

"What?" I asked. I already knew it had to do with Jeremy, since that was all she and I had in common. And Mr. Gregor didn't do groups, so it couldn't possibly be anything relating to class. "I haven't touched your precious-"

"He's left! Went full across the freakin' country to get away from your bumpkin-"

"Ms. Kelston. Please take our seat!"

Mr. Gregor's booming voice was very commanding, yet, instead of the usual, 'Yes Mr. Gregor!' That Gela usually sweetly said, she glared at him. "Is anyone going to do something about this!? This abomination," She pointed one of her perfectly manicured fingers at me, "is the reason why our most prized Jeremy is gone!"

No one spoke. Their glares-besides the teacher's-were directed at me, but no one dare speak up about it in front of Mr. Gregor.

Gela didn't pay heed to the twitch that told the rest of us that Mr. Gregor was getting fed up. She turned to me. "Are you happy now, Commoner?" She spat out.

"That's it! Get out! Go to the principal's office this minute!" one of his large, beefy hands came up to direct her in the way she should go.

Gela glared at me a moment more before turning on her heel and exiting the classroom.

Too shocked to do anything, I just sat there and stared off at the door she disappeared through.

Horror and dread washed through me as it actually started sinking in. Jeremy? Gone? No way. It couldn't be!

Unknown POV

Her golden eyes flashed with anger. She was seething. How could that commoner…Oh! It infuriated her! It was too much!

First, she embarrassed him in front of the whole school. And if it wasn't bad enough having him confess his feelings to her, she had the guts to turn him down? And now, he's gone?

No matter her brother's wishes, she would get rid of this girl. At. All. Costs.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow at the dance. She would make her leave. One way…or another.

Mary POV

"Caroline!" I yelled as I entered her house Saturday morning. "Caroline!"

"Mary dear, what's wrong?" She came out of one of the doors on my left. She looked extremely pale, like she had heard some god-awful news or she had been crying. Maybe both.

Kind of like how my night had been if…

"Is it true?" I asked.

"Oh dear, what happened to your face? It's all red! Your eyes are all puffy! Have you been crying?" She grabbed me by the shoulders, examining me from head to toe. A lot like how my mom would have done.

"Is it true? Jeremy left?" I asked.

She looked a little surprised. And then great sadness took over her face. "Yes."

The tears silently slipped down my face. "I knew it." Then anger, more at myself than anything, made me ball up my fists. "That's why I never wanted to come here to this school!"

"Mary!"

"No, I knew I was going to mess it up! I knew I would ruin everything!"

"You did not!" She said, quite sternly too. "He left because his father called for him. It has nothing to do with you! After all, he is the heir to a large company."

My eyes might have been as big as plates. "Heir?"

Caroline smiled. "Well, yes. It's what made us 'elite', as Altman likes to put it."

"Oh." Was all I said. Was all I could think of to say.

Caroline gave a little laugh, "Well, now that we've got this out the way, let's go fix you up. After all, today is the dance!"

Yes, it certainly was. I thought. So where was all that excitement I had for it during this week?

----------'---,----<@

So...so...dramatic! 

Anyways, the next chapter's The DANCE~~! XD Yay! 

Until Next time,

~Kyeire~