[resist]

re·sist
/rəˈzist/
verb

》withstand the action or effect of《

》refusal to accept what seems inevitable, with every fiber of your being《

Morning came, as it did everyday, whether you wanted it to or not.

There was a tray of bread with jam on your nightstand, someone must have brought it to you when you were sleeping. At least this meant you got to skip breakfast with you future in-laws, you'd had enough of those in your stay at Gizmonia. Sitting up in your bed, you brought the tray onto your lap and grabbed Sean's journal from where you'd set it at the end of your bed. On the other side of the page that contained the map was an extra note. Not really a note, just a few scattered words that couldn't quite make a cohesive thought.

'rulebook'

'false heir'

'resist'

Strange, what sort of rules dealt with a false heir? And, the heir to what? What does Sean even need to resist?

You took another bite of the sweet pastry, reading over the records of Ethan's symptoms again. Your heart swelled with hope when you thought of the herb sitting in your bag, and that it would heal him soon enough. You just needed to get back to Gizmonia as soon as you could.

After getting dressed, you went next door to your sister's room, where she was still in a somewhat peacful sleep. Then again, you didn't know what exactly she was feeling, if it was nothing, or the same excruciating pain as before. You worried what would become of her once you left, if you could trust anyone to administer the proper dose of sleeping draft to her.

Resting your hand on her forehead, you were alarmed at how cold it was. You lowered your ear to her mouth, trying to listen for breaths and watch for her chest to rise and fall. To your relief, small bursts of warm air met your ear, she was still breathing.

"We need to warm you up, pumpkin." You murmured, piling on more blankets onto her small body, and closing every door and window you could to try to keep some heat in. Not that there was much heat, it was the beginnings of fall, October was just a few days away.

"Come on, babygirl." You pleaded, keeping your hand on her face to see if you could feel her temperature rising. "We still need to have more dagger lessons. And you're gonna be my flower girl, remember? And my kids are going to want to meet their awesome Aunt Rachel."

Finally, her breaths deepened, and her skin was a bit warmer to the touch. You breathed a sigh of relief, pressing your cheek to hers, wanting to feel her alive with you. Your baby sister, the purest joy in your life.

"Come, Y/N." The sharp bark of the Queen urged you out of the carriage in front of the Gizmonian castle.

"Yes ma'am." You followed her closely, holding your purse filled with volkara tightly in your hand. If you had brought your saddle bag, that would have been quite conspicuous.

"So, there will be wedding dress fitting in three weeks, ring fitting the day after, and of course the shoe fitting. The day is just getting closer and closer!"

"I know."

The Queen stopped outside the room you'd been assigned. "I can imagine that you're tired, Y/N, so a servant will bring you your dinner."

"Thank you, My Lady." You gritted your teeth as you curtseyed, not wanting to show any level of respect for this horrible woman.

As soon as you could hear the clicks of her heels fade down the halls, you pulled out the pouch of volkara and tucked it into your bosom. You slipped off your shoes to make as little noise as possible as you snuck through the halls, still knowing the quickest route from your room to the infirmary. As soon as you opened the door, you were met with the surprised face of Robin and an empty bed where Ethan should have been.