Chapter 1: Reflection

Chapter 1

I watched my reflection in the mirror as Leela, my lady-in-waiting, brushed through my long, silver hair. My bright blue eyes almost glowed against my suntanned, russet skin.

"My lady?" Leela asked. I looked up at her young, heart-shaped face, her short, wavy dark-brown hair pinned back into a small bun. "Would you like your hair styled up or down?" I turned my gaze back to my reflection and tucked a couple tendrils of hair behind my ear.

"Let's just leave it down today, it will be less work for you."

She smiled shyly and replied. "My service is to you and you alone, Princess Katarina. Please do not waste your concerns on me." I placed my hand lightly on hers as she rested it on my shoulder.

"Leela, I consider you to be one of my most trusted friends. I will always be concerned about you."

"Still, your focus should be on your journey to Asgard. They will soon send someone to retrieve you my lady."

"If only that wasn't the case." How I would miss Leela once I was gone. In order to keep my home of Alfheim safe from invasion and upcoming war, my father has offered me to the prince and heir to the throne of Asgard, Thor Odinson. I have yet to meet this Prince of Asgard but have heard a few things of him. Rumors say he his popular among women, that he is loud and obnoxious, that although he has arrogant and officious ways, he has a boyish kindness. This journey which I will take in a matter of a couple hours will decide whether or not Thor will accept my father's offer and take my hand in marriage.

Leela finished pinning my hair out of my face, letting my long pearl-ish locks flow down the middle of my back. She carefully placed a thin, gold crown circlet on my head, the blue topaz gem resting in the middle of my forehead.

I stood as a loud knock came from outside my chamber doors.

"Yes," I answered. The door slowly opened and one of the palace guards entered. He stood upright with his bare-chest poked out and his chin up as he tightly gripped onto his spear.

"The Asgardians have arrived," he notified. I felt my heart begin to race and my breath quicken as he awaited my acknowledgement. After a few moments of silence, I answered.

"Very well, thank you. You may go." I turned back to the mirror as the door shut. I began to wonder if the attire of my home was suitable for that of Asgard. A simple light blue halter top which stopped just above my midriff, and a long skirt that hung off my hips, openings on the side exposing my long legs didn't seem to suffice.

"My lady," Leela said breaking the silence, as she knelt down and clipped two gold bangles around my ankles. "It is time, we should not make the king wait."

I sighed, "You are right." I held out my hands for her to place similar bangles on my wrists as well. There has to be another way to keep my home safe. "But there has to be a reason for me to stay." I turned and began to walk back towards the mirror.

"If you do not mind me saying," Leela began, "but it is your duty as our princess to join kingdoms for the good of your people." I hated to admit it but she was right.

"There has to be another way, there has to be!" my voice growing louder as I spoke to myself.

"I'm afraid it's up to the king to decide which way is best to protect his kingdom."

"And why shouldn't I be able to decide!" I shouted.

"My lady, the king --"

"The king isn't the one being sent off to marry a stranger, is he?!" I could feel my body begin to heat as all the anger and frustration I kept bottled up began to rush through me.

"The king has had his share of hard decisions. I think --"

"I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!" I shouted as I threw my body around and felt heat rush through my arm and out my fingertips. My rage quickly turned to guilt as flames flew pass Leela, barely missing her and hitting the door, leaving a large, circular burn. Her eyes grew sad as she slowly kneeled and let her eyes drop to the floor.

"My apologies, your majesty. I was out of line to speak to you in such a presumptuous manner. I am truly sorry." I turned away as she slowly raised her head, afraid to meet her gaze, the guilt tearing my stomach apart.

"Come," I said after a moment of silence, "My guests have waited long enough."