Chapter 6: this is it

The following day, Quinn arrived at the office earlier than usual. She found Gibbs diligently immersed in paperwork at his desk, while McGee sipped his coffee nearby.

"Hey, you're early," Bishop remarked, noticing Quinn's punctuality.

"I had something to take care of," Quinn replied, her tone carrying a hint of purpose.

"Okay," Bishop acknowledged, sensing Quinn's seriousness.

"I was wondering, where is Torres?" McGee inquired, curiosity lacing his words.

"He couldn't come today," Gibbs responded, his attention focused on the paperwork before him.

"Why?" Quinn probed, her curiosity piqued.

"No clue," Gibbs admitted, his response tinged with a touch of mystery.

Quinn settled into her chair, awaiting the arrival of a new case. In the meantime, she unlocked her phone and opened the internet, her curiosity drawn to a trending topic. Clicking on a link, she delved into the news.

"Shit," Quinn muttered under her breath, her distress evident.

Bishop noticed Quinn's reaction and approached her, concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Definitely not. Look at this," Quinn replied, showing Bishop the news on her phone.

"Whoa, damn. Is that you?" Bishop whispered, her eyes widening in disbelief.

"Don't say it out loud, Bishop," Quinn cautioned, aware of the potential consequences.

"I want to know every detail. Elevator, now," Bishop demanded, gesturing for Quinn to join her in the confined space.

As the elevator doors closed, Bishop pressed the 'emergency' button, ensuring privacy for their conversation.

"Are you dating that guy?" Bishop inquired, unable to contain her curiosity.

"Look, it's none of your business," Quinn retorted, her tone defensive.

"Come on, Quinn. Tell me the details," Bishop persisted, her eagerness palpable.

"Fine. He was my ex-boyfriend before I joined NCIS. We broke up ten years ago, and it's complicated. I tried to contact him, but there were no answers. I bumped into him yesterday in the parking lot, and he suggested we talk somewhere. We ended up at his house, and things happened," Quinn revealed, recounting the recent events.

"Well, how are things going with Torres?" Bishop inquired, shifting the focus to Quinn's current relationship.

"It's over, and I don't want to talk about it," Quinn responded, her voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

Quinn pressed the 'emergency' button once more, signaling the end of their private conversation. She reached for her phone and dialed Torres's number.

"Yes?" Torres answered on the other end of the line.

"We need to talk," Quinn asserted.

"I'm listening," Torres replied, willing to engage in the conversation.

"Not here over the phone, but somewhere," Quinn suggested, seeking a more personal setting for their discussion.

Quinn arranged to meet Torres at their favorite diner, a place laden with memories from their first date. She arrived early, sipping her milkshake, and bracing herself for the conversation that lay ahead.

"So, we're here," Torres stated as he joined her at the table.

"And yet, here we are," Quinn replied, her voice carrying a sense of finality.

"Look, I know you're mad at me, and-" Torres began, attempting to address the tension between them.

"That's what I'm going to talk about," Quinn interjected, cutting him off. "Our relationship was going well until you did something I couldn't accept. So, I've decided to end it here. I can't move past this, it's too difficult for me. Moreover, there's someone else I care about, someone I cared about even before you came along. I assume you'll soon find out on your own. Thank you for the memories, and I'm sorry for everything I've done."

Torres was left speechless as Quinn's words sank in. She abruptly stood up and left the diner, leaving him to contemplate the end of their relationship.

[Two weeks later]

"Morning, Quinn. Couldn't wait for work?" Gibbs greeted Quinn as she entered the office.

"Ahah, no. Not that, actually. I'd like to resign from NCIS," Quinn announced, her tone resolute.

Gibbs paused, sighing as his initial excitement faded into disappointment.

"What are you doing, Quinn?" Gibbs questioned, concern etched on his face.

"Well, I never intended to be here for long, but it was great to meet some incredible people," Quinn explained, a mix of emotions coloring her words.

"I understand. After everything that's happened, it's understandable that you can't bear it any longer," Gibbs empathized, acknowledging the challenges she had faced.

"Not solely because of that, but it is one of the reasons," Quinn clarified, reflecting on her decision.

"This is a significant choice. If you quit, you'll have a new life, a fresh start, and the opportunity to meet new people. If you stay, we'll remain a family. I'm not forcing you to stay, but I'm asking you to reconsider," Gibbs suggested, his words carrying a blend of understanding and persuasion.

Quinn weighed her options, contemplating the impact of her decision. After careful consideration, she made up her mind.

"Well then, I have reconsidered, and this is my decision after all," Quinn declared, her voice brimming with resolution.

"Life is about choices, and I've made mine. I decided to..." she trailed off, leaving the sentence unfinished, signifying her readiness for a new chapter in her life.