The silence that followed was almost heartbreaking. 

"I thought my dreams were just dreams and that the insomnia was just another phase." I went on, hearing the tears in my voice. "But I don't think it is. I think your serum works and somehow it's giving me strange visions which I can't solve." 

My mother let out a shaky breath, removing the glasses from her nose completely. I watched as she turned away from me, her hands going to her hips. It was my father who moved closer, confusion and curiosity filling his dark eyes. "Visions? Almost like clairvoyance."

"Stephen! This is not the time for such questions." My mother shrieked, heavy gaze moving back to me, a new anger in her eyes. My mother was usually placed with the hard hand, always the parent taking the lead in punishment. It seemed only fair she had seen the danger, seen the blurred outcomes of my mistake. "Florence, this serum isn't a toy. It is not even ready for human trails. I thought you understood that our work, something we've worked years on, was more than an experiment. You know better than to mess around with something you can't possibly understand." 

Tears stung my eyes as I nodded. "I know. I'm sorry, mum--"

"You could have been seriously hurt." she went on, pacing towards me. My father was still by the workbench, his eyes glazed over in thought. "We don't know the delicate outcomes yet, everything is still up in the air. These visions, you say, could harm you in more ways than one. Florence Elizabeth, how could you?" 

I hated seeing the pain in her eyes. My mother had already lost one child years ago, she was not capable of losing another. I knew the fear in her voice because it filled my own mind every time I thought about these powers. Fat tears fell from my eyes and I wiped them away quickly, my sleeve growing damp. "Can you fix me?" I cried out quietly. 

The words were painful to admit out loud. 

"Oh, dear." My father was quick to move from his spot. His arms pulled me to his chest, my tears soaking up in his white lab coat. My father, the quiet one, the one that never knew how to express love held me while I cried. "It was a mistake. A complication. A little bump in the road. No matter the outcomes, Florence, we're going to figure this out." he pulled back, giving me an attempt at a smile. "You are our human trial and this means wonderful things, dear. I couldn't be more proud of you, despite the little mistake. You've been handling this so well but you're not alone now."

My mother finally stepped forward, her eyes puffy from tears. "I'm sorry I raised my voice." I ran a hand under my nose and gave a shaky laugh. These were some of the best scientists I knew and since this was their field of expertise, they were the only people who could help me. "It was just a shock but as a family, we'll figure this out. I can promise you that."  

***

The sun was just starting to set when I finally found myself in Queens, all the tears dried on my face. My parents had already started their tests on my blood, hopefully finding out more about how the serum worked when exposed. Despite that heavy feeling in my chest still, there was a glimmer of hope. 

When I finally tracked up the staircase to Peter's apartment building, his door was yanked open before I could even knock. "Pete!" I gushed out, staring across at him as he stood in his Spider-Man suit, his hair ruffled from the head mask. "Why are you wearing that? I could have been anyone knocking. What if I had been your neighbour or some girl scout selling cookies? There goes your secret identity." I went on as I piled into his warm apartment, the door closing firmly behind me. 

The living room was quiet, the kitchen not full of dishes. There wasn't a kettle boiling and no soft music coming from the radio, which meant Aunt May was not home. "A girl scout would have been nice though." Peter was grinning. "They have the best cookies. I mean, nothing beats my aunt's oatmeal cookies but still." 

I sent him a look, crossing my arms over my chest. "Honestly, do you not grasp the idea of having a mask?" 

We started towards his room together. "I knew it was you, don't worry." Peter threw over his shoulder, padding into his bedroom where I found a half assembled bunkbed. "Spidey sense and all." he stepped over the mess of boxes and metals and headed towards the fire escape, helping me through the window. I didn't even question the new bunkbed.

Outside on the fire escape the view of the city was pretty with the yellow and orange colours painted across the sky. The air was cool still, the winter months coming to an end. Peter sat upon the railing, his amazing reflexes making it possible. I leaned against the metal, glancing over at him. "My parents are going to help with my powers. They took it alright in the end."

"That's really great," Peter nodded. "I know you're worried about these visions and all but--" he stared down at his hands, letting out a tiny breath. "I was thinking about it all and maybe it was fate, you know? Maybe you're supposed to help the city too. You could be a hero."

I loved his blind optimism. "You think we could get matching outfits?" 

Peter was smiling but he knew the joke in my voice. "I'm not kidding, Florence. Having my own powers, it allows me to help in more ways that I thought was possible." he glanced back to the skyline. "Sure, today was quiet. I helped a little old lady cross the street and got down some kid's kite stuck in a tree but that's all part of the job. Tony Stark wants me taking baby steps, and I think you could take baby steps too."

"The idea of me being a hero isn't even on my mind." I confessed quietly. I hadn't told Peter about how I wanted these visions gone, that they shouldn't even be a part of me. He had so much faith in me and this little dream about us teaming up was adorable but unrealistic. But I didn't want to tell him that, knowing it might hurt him. "Because you're the hero in my life, Peter. Right now, that's enough for me."

He let his shoulders rise and fall, his hand entwining with my own. With the sun setting and the light dancing across his face, I realised that maybe his faith in me wasn't so misplaced. But I pushed that away, smiling up at him. Suddenly, his was phone was ringing and he fumbled around to answer it. "Hey, Aunt May." I rocked back against my heels, thinking about these visions once again. "Yeah, I can get some milk. Eggs too. Okay? Sure. Love you, too."

"Duty calls, huh?" I smiled up at him. 

Peter jumped down from the railing, a hand sweeping some hair from my face as he leaned in close. "I can walk you home. That's a duty of a good boyfriend, yeah?" 

That familiar flutter filled my chest. "Maybe remove the suit, Spider-Man. We wouldn't want the public thinking you're sweet on me or something." Peter was pulling me closer, a laugh filling the cool air around us. 

No matter the mistakes and the fears of a cloudy future, I still had him. For now. 

- author's ramblings - 

Today is a very happy day y'all. The Weight of The World turns one today! It has been a full year since the beginning of Peter and Florence and I am beyond thankful for all the wonderful support I have received. I never thought it would reach so many readers and become so big. Florence Parsons is one of my babies and I've grown to love her immensely. Some think it's odd that I care about my characters so much but they are real in a sense to me. Much like I believe Harry Potter is real for J.K. Rowling. I may not be a published author but I really do love my stories and hope to touch many more readers through my fanfictions. In honour of TWOTW's birthday, I made a little ship video below and I hope you enjoy it!

With so much love,
Tay x