Maedhros leaned against the iron bars. His head would've been over a foot above hers had he not slumped so far in exhaustion. Míril finished her playing and placed a hand on the bar closest to her.

“You have a wonderful voice,” Maedhros managed to croak out. “Though I do wonder, my lady, how you come by my brother’s harp. Makalaurë never parted from it long. Especially to a spirit such as you.”

“Thank you, my lord.” She smiled at him sadly. “Though I am no spirit.”

“That is my mind speaking.” He gave a short, humorless laugh.

Míril had an idea. “Place your hand on the bar.”

With his right hand, a hand which had been restored, he slowly and skeptically placed it in the iron door’s bars. Míril grabbed his pale hand slowly, and found it cold.

But the change in Maedhros was instantaneous. “By what great honor has Lord Mandos decided to let you in?”

“He doesn't know,” admitted Míril.

Maedhros laughed. “Of course he knows. He knows all. It must've been appointed that you should be here by Iluvatar, or Manwë.”

“Lady Vairë and Míriel showed me in,” Míril continued.

“And who,” Maedhros asked, raising his eyes to meet her own, “are you?”

Míril paused to take a deep breath before continue. “My name is Míril, I am the descendent of your brother Caranthir.”

“Míril Fëanoriel?” He looked at her in surprise. “That name is known to me. The handmaids of Vairë often tell me tales of your exploits on their visits.”

“Really?” Her face lit up in surprise. “I am honored that you know my name.”

Maedhros chuckled before something in his head made him stop. “And I am honored that you would take the time to speak to a kinslayer such as myself.”

“You speak to the Handmaidens, then?” Míril asked curiously, changing the subject quickly. “They visit?”

Maedhros smiled, nodding vigorously. “Yes, they do! I met Míriel once, you know. My grandmother.”

Míril smiled and ducked her head laughing lightly. “I just met her myself. She’s nice.”

“A rare trait for the Fëanorian family,” Maedhros said ruefully. “Most would say at least.”

“I think not,” she shook her head. “This family, our family, may be renowned for its vengefulness,” she sighed. “myself included. However I think this is not all we are about.”

Maedhros, still sitting against the bars, smiled and shook his head as he thought about her comment. “Who would've thought a descendent of Fëanor would've ended up marrying the son of Elrond. I wouldn’t have imagined it had you given me ages to think about it!”

“You did a wonderful job with Maglor,” Míril chuckled lightly, laying her hand on his own. “Raising Elrond and Elros. Elrond’s sons are perfect. Elrohir most especially.”

Maedhros laughed merrily. “Why thank you!”

“I have four children, too. Aderthon, my eldest and only son, wields my sword now.” She smiled softly, thinking of them. “My middle daughters, twins, have hair like your own. Círeth and Fëalas.” She paused. “Then my youngest…”

“No need to speak of her if you do not wish it,” Maedhros assured her, a dark look on his face shrouding his joy. “I know what happened to her. She was too alike to us.”

Míril remained silent, staring at the floor. “Yes. But she is still my daughter.” She closed her eyes and whispered. “Tinneth, I love you, wherever you are.”

Maedhros, seeing the pain in her face, was reminded of his mother’s own when he left Valinor. She had stood, at the top of the hill, watching in anguish as they swore their oaths.

“Mother’s never stop loving their children,” Maedhros reminded her. “I wish mothers realized that though we children stray, we never lose that love either, deep in our hearts.”

Míril felt tears in her eyes, but there was no excruciating pain. She thanked Estë for that. She looked at Maedhros and he took her hand. After a moment, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Vairë stood behind her. It was time to leave.

“Let my mother know that I love her, and please,” he frowned. “Visit soon.”

“Of course,” Míril nodded furiously. “I will come often.”

“It is time,” Vairë smiled lightly. “Farewell, Nelyafinwë.”

“Thank you, my lady.” Maedhros looked up at the Valie in appreciation. “This was a gift I am not deserving of.”

Vairë smiled lightly and bent down as Míril collected herself in the corner. The Valie reached forward and took his hand. “Despite what some say, you are hardly the worst elf to live in my husband’s halls. Take heart.”

As she stood back up, she nodded her head at him and he stood to bow. Miril watched in awe as his full height was revealed. Tall even among elves, Maedhros toward above her, all but even with Vairë.

“Farewell, Míril Fëanoriel.”

She sniffled. “Farewell, Maedhros.”