“Callie, if anything I don’t deserve you. I’ve screwed your life up and I’m just glad that you decided to let me love you.”

She shook her head. “Stop. You, you are the best thing that has happened to me. I’m sorry for being like this.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for and I mean that.” I wrapped my arms around Callie tightly not wanting to release my grasp for as long as I could. “How about we just eat our dinner underneath the stars tonight? It’s something to do and it’s nice outside.”

“I’d like that.” She sniffled slightly before glancing up towards me. Someday, somehow I was going to prove to her how incredible she is, her flaws and all. She deserves to be happy and have everything she wants. I hate that she forgets that. I rubbed her back continuously until the doorbell interrupted the moment. “We clearly struggle with interruptions.” Callie laughed before we released our grasp to get the food.

After giving the delivery man the money, I headed out to the back porch while Callie grabbed an extra blanket from her bed. She spread it out along the deck and the two of us sat on it side by side with the box of pizza in front of us.

“So do you think your moms will catch on that you aren’t really at Aiden’s?” Callie seemed worrisome.

“Nah. The tracker will show I’m over Aiden’s. That’s all they’ll want to know. Why? Are you worried?”

“No,” I could tell she was lying. “I just don’t want to be the reason you get in trouble. Your family is already mad at me as it is. We don’t need to make it worse.” I nodded. She was right but I was still staying with her for the night. No one would ever know.

We laid back after finishing the pizza and gazed at the star. The sky was beautiful. I glanced beside me to see Callie entranced by the view. She was smiling bright. I liked seeing her happy. Things were finally coming together for her and I couldn’t be happier for her. She deserved everything. I’m lucky to have her.

I grabbed the old iPod that I had given Callie and scrolled through the songs without Callie noticing. I selected a song and waited to see Callie’s reaction.

We'll do it all

Everything

On our own

We don't need

Anything

Or anyone

“I love this song!” Callie smiled as she began to sing along to the chorus.

If I lay here