Chapter 7

After Arthur left, Sofia had fallen asleep rather easily. The talk with him had put her worrying mind to rest so that she could find some sleep. It was not long before two men came in to wake her up. They updated her on the news of the letter she had sent to her father.

“It is on it’s way on a ship as we speak,” one of the men said.

“It should be delivered in two or three days,” the other finished.

Sofia nodded. “Thank you. I am glad to be in the hands of such capable men,” she said sweetly.

The two men smiled at her words. “it’s an honor to be in your presence, princess,” the first man said. He took her hand and kissed it. He turned and left with the other.

Sofia followed them out into the hallway. “If it isn’t too much to ask…” she began slowly.

“Ask anything and it shall be yours, princess,” the man said.

“I would like the pirate, Arthur Kirkland, to have his execution date pushed back until my father arrives. I hope to be able to talk him out of his pirate ways and to become a gentleman. I see so much potential in him, it would be a shame to just murder him.” Sofia looked at them, hoping she didn’t sound crazy. This man was her captor, anyone would be insane to want to be in their captor’s presence again.

The second man nodded. “I see. That can be done,” he said.

Sofia breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you. I would like him brought up to my room for breakfast.” She turned without an answer and headed back into her room to change out of her nightgown. She quickly got into a different dress from the day before, combed out her hair and put a small braid in part of it.

Just as she finished, the two men from earlier, came into her room with the pirate captain. “Here he is.”

Sofia turned on them. “It is rude to enter a ladies room without knocking,” she scolded. “But I thank you for bringing the pirate. Can you fetch him a new pair of clothes so he does not have to wear the same smelly fabric all the time?”

“Ah happen to like what Ah’m wearin’!” Arthur said indignantly.

The two men, ignoring Arthur, left the room immediately.

Sofia shook her head at the pirate. “You smell like a sewer mixed with bad seafood,” she said, scrunching up her nose.

Arthur shrugged, grinning. Sofia winced once more. “Today, I’m going to make you look like a proper man, Arthur Kirkland,” she said, pacing circles around him. “I will clean, brush, and inspect every inch of you!”

Arthur smirked. “Every inch of me?”

Sofia bit her lip, hoping the enormous wave of embarrassment and realization did not show on her face.

The one man came in with the clothes Sofia asked for and she thanked him glad to have a reason to completely forget about what she said. The man had handed her some old black pants and a basic white shirt. “Well...I guess this will do…” she murmured. The princess turned to Arthur. “Put these on.”

“Right now? A’right.” Arthur began to take his pants off.

Sofia threw the clothes down, covering her eyes. “I did not mean right in front of me! I will leave you.” Still covering her eyes, she tried to find her way out of the room. She felt a grip on her arm, leading her across the room.

“A-Ah Arthur?” she asked.

“Hmm?” he replied right next to her ear.

“Oh..Thank you. That was very gentleman-like of you. Mmm, wait before you put on your new clothes I’ll have the men draw a bath for you.”