"Oh come on, you know, the 'I'm single and you're cute' look," she put down her menu.

"I didn't recognize it."

"Of course you didn't, you're unusually oblivious when it comes to that I see," she looked back into her menu.

"Oblivious? I wouldn't say so,"

"I would, and I do, otherwise, I'm sure you would've flirted back."

He chuckled, "So, I'm cute?"

"That's what her look said."

"What do you say?"

She looked at him over the menu, then set it down. "I say I'll have a burger and some fries."

He smiled at her just as the waitress appeared.

"Ready to place your order?"

"I'll have the steak and she'll have a burger, and some fries."

"Please," Jennifer added.

"No problem," the waitress smiled at her and walked away.

"Please?" He rose his eyebrow at her.

"Yes, please. We're going to have to work on your manners." she sat back in her chair.

"I have manners, I just don't find use for them much."

"Well you could've used it just then."

"Didn't have to,"

"But it's nice to, that's why she smiled at me and not you,"

"And here I thought you'd be relieved that she didn't give me another look,"

"Don't flatter yourself," she smiled.

"Water, and a beer." The waitress set down their beverages. "It's a slow night, your order will be ready soon."

"Good," Rick took the beer she handed to him, "and, thank you." He looked over to Jennifer and smiled.

She looked down and chuckled, "Thanks," Jennifer took her water from the waitress.

"No problem," she left them again.

"Did I do good?"

"You did great," she chuckled.

"Thanks,"

She rolled her eyes, "so, tell me about yourself."

He tensed up a bit, "I'm not a very good sharer."

"No ones a good sharer, don't share, just talk."

"I don't like to talk about myself."

"Come on, just give me something. I've been with you for nearly 4 hours already and I managed to tell you my whole story meanwhile all I know about you is that your name is Rick, you live alone and are bored enough to drive me cross country."

"That's not bad for 5 hours."

"It is for two strangers"

He didn't answer, just took another sip of his beer.

"Okay how about this, you ask me a question about myself, I'll answer truthfully, and then you have to answer my questions." she suggested.

"Fine, but I get to pass."

"Fine, then I'll get to pass."

"Fine," he nodded in agreement.

She raised her cup of water to her lips, "Okay, what's your first question for me?" Once again, she didn't miss how his eyes darted from hers to her lips and she parted them to take a sip. But just as quickly, he raised them back at her eyes.

"Whats your middle name?" he started.

"Oh God,"

"You can pass, but then I can too."

"Ugh, fine, Barbara." She palmed her forehead.

He tried to stifle a smile but ended up giving a little chuckle.

"Okay! What's your middle name?" 

"You can't ask the same question,"

"This is the easiest one you'll get,"

"Eugene."

She looked at him for a moment and then laughed.

"Eugene? I so did not see that one coming!"

"Next, Highest level of education?"

"High school, college isn't my thing. Okay, how old are you,"

"32, and yourself?"

"22, that counted. Even though you still haven't given me back my ID. My turn, your parents?"

"Touchy subject,"

"So was mine."

"Dead."

She blinked back.

"Yea,"

"Sorry, I didn't-"

"It's fine. My mother died when I was three so I don't remember much about her but my father died when I turned 20."

"Oh,"

"My turn, do you miss your parents."

She hesitated, "My mom, I miss her."

"You remember her well?"

"That's more than one question,"

"Answer it, you'll get two after."

She looked down. "I remember her before the abuse. Before the pills. I remember that she loved me, treated me like her angel. I remember that. And I choose to remember only that."

"And your father?"

"Thats three, answer my two first."

"Fine."

"One, highest level of education."

"College."

"What major," she tried to sus out what his line of work, which he'd been more than vague about might have been.

"No major, left after 3 years."

"Second-"

"Third." he corrected, "So it's my turn. What do you remember about your father."

"Nothing good. My turn," Jennifer snapped, eager to learn more about him, not wanting to break the streak of his honesty and compliance. "What exactly happened to your father."

"Pass."

"Come on-"

"I said, pass."

"Fine."

"We're done with the game."

"I guess so." she answered.

Good timing as the waitress returned with their food orders.

"Okay, steak for you," she gave him his plate, "and burger for you, and a side of fries. Anything else?"

"That's it for now," Rick answered. The waitress smiled and left as they began eating. After a silent dinner they drove back to the motel with nothing but tension surrounding them. It was around 10 o'clock at night. They parked in front of the room and went inside.

"Let's go to sleep." Rick said.