4. The Man on the Mountain

((This is going to be a really short filler chapter. This is where you get to see the repercussions of Kayden's decisions. And a new character will be revealed next chapter. The picture is also what Felan looks like now. Model: Willy Cartier.))
---------------------------
My heart beat at a quick pace as I scrambled away from the Alpha who was walking back down the hill, cutting my from his life forever. I didn't understand. What would make the moon Goddess do such an awful thing to me?
As I continued to stumble through the forest, the ache in my heart and body grew stronger. Finally, I couldn't handle it anymore and let out a cry of agony, my heart feeling as if it was ripping in two. At some point, the searing pain became too much, and I blacked out.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Time had passed by the time I woke back up. I'm not sure how long it had been, but I felt like I'd been asleep for days. Gingerly, I raised my head and looked around, but there was only trees to be seen. With a strung out groan, I got to my feet and clutched my aching chest. And I carried on. Now that my head was clear, I realized that there was no way I could go back to the town. I'd be killed. That's what happened to rejected mates. They were killed so that the other person could find a new mate. It was rare, and against the rules, but it still happened illegally. And I had no doubts in my mind that the Alpha would at least try.

Continuing to walk, I made up my mind to find haven in the place that I felt safest. When my parents got violent, I would always run to a cave off in the woods, about thirty miles out. But it would take a while to get there now, because I was in too much pain to shift to my wolf form. So I walked. And walked. And walked. And several days later, I finally made it to the cave in the foot of the forbidden mountain.

Climbing down into the cave slowly, I began my new life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Narrarator:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Felan lived alone in the forest for ten years. His strength grew day by day, but his heart also hardened. Occasionally, travelers would come by his cave, too exhausted from their journey, and he would take care of them. So legends grew of the man in the mountain. Some were good, and some brought fear to his once beloved village. Most of the legends spoke of a beast who wandered the forest, searching for people to kill.

And it was half true. Every now and then, Felan would come across a traveller from the village, or outskirting towns, and they would try to kill him. And so he ended them instead.
Over the years, his ways grew darker, and he began to turn more people away, rather than help them.
Then one day, he met another person in the forest. This one was different.