Chapter 25 - Normalcy

Começar do início

 He plucked the key from Lydia's fingers, his claws still exposed. He examined it in front of him, his eyes having returned to their natural shade of blue. He stumbled backwards, dropping the key down to his side.

 Standing only in his gym shorts, he backed himself into an open area. I noticed Derek's eyes glow red from his position on the ground. He got himself to his feet, nearing Jackson. Peter came out from behind one of the rafters, he and Derek charging Jackson at the same time.

 "No!" I shouted. 

 I tried running at them as both of their claws sunk deep into Jackson's stomach and back, but Eric held me down. They lifted him inches off the ground, digging even deeper into him. We all stood back and watched in horror as it happened. Jackson coughed and choked through the pain.

 Finally, Derek and Peter pulled their claws out and backed away. Lydia ran to Jackson before he could fall to the ground. She held him by his torso, lowering him slowly. I chewed the inside of my lip as I watched this all unfold.

 "Do you..." said Jackson, his voice raspy. He and Lydia were eye-level with one another. "Do you still...?"

 "I do," said Lydia, a tear rolling down her cheek. I felt Stiles squeeze my hand. Lydia nodded, saying, "I do still love you. I do - I do still love you, I do,"

 Jackson's eyes rolled into the back of his head before his eyelids fell over them. He leaned into Lydia's shoulder, and I could feel the life slipping away from him. Lydia wrapped her arms around his back and neck, sobbing as she held him close to her chest. The key to Jackson's house clattered to the cement floor.

 It didn't feel right, not that anything was wrong but, it just didn't feel right that Jackson was...dead. I know I've never particularly like the guy, but he did save my life on more than one occasion. I at least owe him my grief and gratitude. 

 He may have not treated Lydia the way she deserves to be treated all of the time, but there's no denying that he did love her. He loved her and I for one know that once you love someone for the first time, it never goes away. Not even if the person does. 

 Lydia laid Jackson down on his back as I curled myself into Stiles. I didn't want anyone else to see the glaze in my eyes. The last patch of scales on Jackson's face disappeared in a purple glow. The silent sob Lydia emitted ripped into my very core. Once again, the supernatural has taken its turn in hurting people. That's all it ever does.

 I felt Eric's hand grip my shoulder. I turned around to look at him. His lips were pressed inward and I knew he felt guilty for all of this. Jackson saved my life and because of that, it was our responsibility to take care of him. That was our mother's code, and we failed.

 "Where's Gerard?" Allison spoke. I turned away from my brother and scanned the building. He was nowhere in sight.

 "He can't be far," said Chris. I took notice of his bloody lip.

 I looked back over to see Lydia standing up, her silhouette lit by the headlights of Stiles' jeep. She sucked in a breath and wiped her eyes before turning around and taking a few steps towards us. Then, she paused, squeezing her eyes shut as she fought back more tears. I've never seen her more vulnerable.

 Then, the entire room went still as a low scraping could be heard from behind her. Jackson's claws traced along the stone floor, the sound causing Lydia to turn back around. I held my breath as Stiles took a step back, taking me with him.

 Jackson's eyes flew open, and I threw my hand over my mouth when I saw their color. He sat up, slowly getting to his feet. He leaned towards the ground, lifting his chest up in the glow of the jeep headlights.