Chapter One

Things were eerily at peace in the Sohma household late that afternoon. Kyo was in the living room watching TV, feeling bored but at a loss as to what he could be doing otherwise. His cousin Shigure was sitting behind him in a chair, scribbling away on what appeared to be an already half-filled pad of notepaper. Yuki, Kyo's other cousin, was outside caring for the plants in their garden out back. Tohru Honda, the Sohma's dear friend and house-mate, was upstairs in her bedroom, no doubt working diligently on that night's homework assignment. It was calm. It was quiet. Too quiet, Kyo thought as he rested his head on his chin. His eyes were still fixed dazedly on the television screen in front of him. He was beginning to wonder if hell had frozen over, when suddenly...

Riiiiiiing.

The telephone rang, and it appeared that that was all that was needed to shatter the fragile illusion of tranquility in their home.

"Kyo," Shigure said in a tone that was so sickly sweet it made Kyo want to knock him straight through the roof. "Would you be a dear and grab the phone for me? I'm rather busy at the moment."

Riiiiiiing.

Kyo stood and clenched his fists, glaring daggers at the dog's back. "Why do I gotta do it?" he demanded. "Make that damn rat!"

Riiiiiiing.

"Kyo." Shigure sighed, though somehow managed to retain that same pleasant tone as he said, "You know Yuki went outside. And I, as I already mentioned, am busy."

Kyo growled. "Busy doing what? Writing another one of your nasty romance novels?"

Riiiiiiing.

"Oh would someone get that pleeease?" Shigure sang, ignoring Kyo's derogatory comment. "Tohru-!"

"Coming!" Tohru shouted from upstairs. "Don't worry Shigure, I'll get it!" She pounded hurriedly down the steps. Once she'd reached the main floor she walked over to where the house phone was kept on a small table in the foyer.

Kyo seethed quietly to himself as he watched Tohru pick up the phone. She really needed to stop letting Shigure push her around all the time. She should tell him off for once and show him that he wasn't the boss of her...

Kyo let the thought end there with a rough shake of his head. Because who was he kidding? Tohru would never talk back to Shigure, despite the fact that both he and Yuki regularly encouraged her to do so.

She's too nice for her own good, he thought. I mean, I don't mind yelling at Shigure for her, but one of these days some real sicko is gonna see how vulnerable she is and try to take advantage of her. Or worse.

The thought was almost enough to make him shudder. He was always worried about Tohru, and often he found himself writing these overprotective feelings off as nothing more than concern for his friend's safety. Deep down, though, Kyo knew that there was a greater, much more significant reason for his unwavering desire to keep Tohru shielded from harm. He wasn't about to admit what that reason was, though, not even to himself.

Forget it, he told himself for probably the hundredth time since he'd first met Tohru. It's not gonna happen. Not today, not tomorrow...not ever.

He glanced down at the black and white beads that encircled his left wrist. They were a constant reminder of what he was and of what he could never be. Of what he could never have.

All the better for her, he thought, sighing sadly to himself.

~