2. Wrenched Away Harmony

"Wait!" She cried, her hands tightening even more on my leather jacket, her eyes wide and frantically searching my own. In them, I could see the fear, the anxiety at what I would do. I tried to fix myself in that kind, gentle expression that she always said she was amazed at. That expression where my onyx eyes looked more endearing and my lips lifted into that soft smile. 

"Don't worry, Rose. I promise you," I said intensely, my hands reaching down and passionately wrapping around her face. "I won't let this hurt you anymore after today. Just. . . “I sighed. “Just try to believe in me." 

She took in a deep breath as she slowly nodded. She had accepted my trust and in return was giving me hers back. Rosalin was honestly the only person that I would ever need, which made doing what I was about to do, the hardest possible thing ever. 

I loosened my grip, making my touch tender, enjoying every last instant of it.  "Just wait and watch." I muttered, before rising up to face her old man.  

Rosa's father looked at me with bitterness, his jaw tight against his skin. I half expected him to spew more shit out his mouth, but lucky enough for me the man remained silent. 

I stayed quiet for a few seconds longer, giving him the opportunity to speak, because I had plenty of words for him. When he didn't, I broke the silence. 

I sighed, preparing myself. "This ends here, Bishop. The truth comes out." 

His eyes widened a tad as he understood what I meant. He knew just as well as I that Rosalin could very well hate him for this. At the same time however, I knew the same could be said about me.  It would be tough to escape partial blame for this. Impossible even. 

"You sure you want to do that?" His deep voice asked, while his deadpan expression made me feel oddly hesitant. 

I felt Rosalin's eyes on me but was too shaken to look down at her. Too afraid of the possible judgment. I felt my lips quiver but trudged through it to speak. "Yea. She needs to know the whole truth or else she might make the wrong decision." It was a struggle to make my voice strong. 

The man went back to being quiet. He wrapped his arms around his chest, the pectorals of a vigorous bodybuilder laying underneath the skin, as he waited for me to continue. 

I opened my mouth to begin speaking but nothing came out, I had honestly lost my nerve for a few seconds. 

Rosalin stood up from the ground, her face no longer convoluted by sadness, now it was just tweaked by suspicion. It was weird to see her stepping away from me. I felt alienated and hurt. I didn't know how to respond, but my body instinctively reached out for her. 

"Wait, Rosa. Let me explain okay, I can tell you're thinking the worst." I rushed out. 

"Well than explain!" She argued, her voice coated in a hardened hurt. "Cause right now, Talon, you’re the only person I have to lean on.”

I looked over towards her dad, who still held the stony look on his face. I just knew that this was what he saw happening. That he would know his daughter of seventeen years, more than I would. It was alright though, because in a few seconds she would know exactly what kind of man he was. 

"Your father. . ." I started, looking back towards her. "Hired me to take you away from your boyfriend. He paid me three-hundred dollars, saying that you didn't really love him, that you could do better. I was supposed to break up with you after a week. . . But I couldn't."  

I saw the angry change in her eyes as her head begin to wrap around the full situation. The clenching of her round jaws, the inevitable cuteness in her steely eyes.