Chapter 4- Dad, Guns and Smirking Punks

“What happened to laying low and being average?” Ryan mumbles as he pulls the cap of his fake janitor’s uniform down. I have the urge to slap the cap off his overly done uniform, his brown curls spilling out and a few falling over his deep blue eyes. I continue to pile books into my locker as he repeatedly sweeps the same spot over and over again.

                “I am being average, it’s not like anybody in school will suspect anything,” I shrug, making sure there’s no one in hearing range. 

                “You’re as average as snow on a summer day,” he snorts. I take advantage of the empty hallway to swipe the tall broom from his hand and using it to kick his feet from under him. He gives me an incredulous look from his spot on the floor before jumping up and dusting himself off.

                “And don’t you forget it,” I smirk as he snatches the broom from my hands. I think I may have put a dent on his ego.

                “Why are you working on this case once again anyways?” he grumbles as he hauls the janitor’s cart a distance away from me.

                “None of your business,” I state before walking off. Unfortunately, Ryan happens to be my right hand man for all things case related so I know I’ll be seeing more of him. No, this still does not mean we are, in any way, friends. I head to the most isolated hallway in the school. I can’t quite explain why this hallway just seems deserted. I really do believe that it’s possible to hear crickets chirping around here, if I were to listen closely. This is the very exact reason why asked Ryan to drop the file in locker 737, the locker furthest down this hall. No one would be caught snooping around these abandoned lockers, making out by them maybe, but not snooping.  I turn the dial on the rusting door before flinging it open and retrieving the extensive file which I tuck inside my book bag, bag that never, for whatever reason, leaves my sight. 

                “Are you sure it’s alright to be around here?” I hear a high pitched voice ask, definitely female. I make a face before crouching down and behind the old water fountain which, may I add, it’s definitely not sanitary to put your mouth on.

                “Of course babe, no one comes around here,” I roll my eyes as I practically hear the smirk on the dude’s face, typical player. One with golden locks, baby blue eyes and a killer smile, rather one I’d like to kill. I peek my head out as their voices stop and yes, they are indeed playing tonsil hockey, they’d put the French to shame. I crouch back down and focus on evening my breath. I wouldn’t want to get caught only for them to get the wrong idea. I look once more and notice they’re so into their ‘activities’ that I don’t really think they’ll notice if I just scurry on by. I heave a deep breath, holding it, before holding my bag to my chest and sneaking away from the duo.

                “Peeping Tom, are we?” Nathan stops me in my tracks with a raise eyebrow. I look back and notice I’m far enough so I resort to walking. I huff a breath out and roll my eyes at his remark, what the hell would I gain out of peeping on one of Tristan’s many doings?

                “Yeah right,” I snort. I adjust my bag and continue on my merry way, why Nathan continues to trail behind me is a question he’ll have to answer. We continue to walk side by side in silence for a moment before he breaks it.

                “Did your dad really pull a gun out on Jer?” his voice is laced with amusement and I crack a smile at the memory. With a slight laugh I nod my head in response. He chuckles along with me before sobering up at the sight of the subject of our laughter, I continue to laugh. His face just adding more to the memory and soon my laughter becomes uncontrollable, I don’t know why and how it sparks so out of control, but I find myself gasping for breath.