Chapter Six

Jacob woke up to the bright lights of the hospital. But these lights were different. Brighter.

He sat in a chair that wasn't built for comfort. Looking around, he was too blinded to make out much of his surroundings. Still, the whole thing felt familiar. Like he had been here before. In a dream he had nearly forgotten.

Jacob tried to sit forward, but his arms held him in place. He looked down drearily and saw the strap fastening his wrist to the chair. He tried his other arm, but it was strapped down the same was. He tried to move his feet they were strapped as well.

Jacob looked up again, blinking in an attempt to adjust his vision. It was hard, a lot of the room was dark but for a few spots that glowed with powerful fluorescence. Every time he turned his head, his eyes were forced to readjust.

Jacob heard footsteps to his left. A few seconds later, a figure blocked out the bright light in front of him. Jacob looked up. It took a while for Jacob's eyes to adjust, but whoever this was stood there, waiting patiently. Finally, he could make out the man's features.

He was maybe forty, with gray hairs painting his temples. His eyes darted over Jacob, searching his face. Then he leaned closer.

"Hello. I'm Helix."

"Why do you have me strapped down?" Jacob asked.

"Because you are erratic and unpredictable. There is nothing hostile about our choice to restrain you."

"It feels hostile."

"But I've told you it is not."

"I don't trust you."

"Why?"

"I have no reason to trust you."

"That makes sense. What about Samantha? Do you have reason to trust her?"

"What have you done with her?" Jacob said, wanting to shout but not finding the strength.

"Nothing," the man said, "she's right here."

Samantha stepped into view and smiled at Jacob. That same smile she'd always given him. From the first time they met.

"Do you have reason to trust her?"

"Apparently not."

"But you did. Why?"

"Because..." Jacob paused.

"Because?"

"I don't know. I just did, I felt like I did."

Helix looked up, staring over Jacob's head. Jacob couldn't see what he was looking at but, after a few seconds, Helix looked back at Jacob.

"I need you to answer a question for me."

"No."

"It's not a request," Helix said as he stepped aside. The bright lights blinded Jacob again, but they faded and another bright light soon took their place, covering the wall in front of him. It was a projection of a photo.

A little girl ran toward the camera in a yellow dress with a red balloon trailing behind her. She was smiling.

"Does this make you happy?"

"What?"

"This image, does it make you happy?"

"No!"

"Why not?"

"Because I am locked in a chair!"

"If you weren't?"