The Opposite

Prologue

"Shit!" I groan as I hit my foot against a wall as I run away from the cops. It's just another ordinary day where I've stolen or spray painted a wall......or done something illegal. I love the thrill, the chase and all the feelings when I escape them. Right when they think they're gonna catch me, they lose me. What can I say, I'm a pro at this.

"Over there!" They yell as they run. Maybe if they didn't spend their extra time eating donuts and talking about the game last night, they would have caught me.

"Fatties!" I yell at them then laugh. It's so funny how their tummies bounce when they run, man this is some workout for them. Before you lash out to me at how mean I am, put into consideration I know how it feels to be fat. And I don't really go around calling people fat, I know how it hurts. Okay, story time over. Where can I hide?

I notice a small shack in the corner of an alley and run to it hiding inside, I lock the door and don't make any sound. I hear them run past puffing and wheezing.

"How I hate that girl." A police officer says.

"Me too, makes us run like we're in a track competition or something." Another says. I think it's the fat one.

They complain some more before they leave and I sigh loudly. Good thing I always wear my hoodie, makes me feel like A from Pretty Little Liars. I check my phone and it reads '11:37AM'. It's been over 6 minutes I think, I peek out the door to make sure the coast is clear. The sirens or the police cars are not audible so I decide to head back home.

After a 5 minute walk, I arrive.

"Hello sugar crumbs, where you been?" My mum greets me.

I make a gag noise, "Sugar crumbs? You've come up with better nicknames. I was out and about."

"Well then, would you like to help me with this Cals?" She asks.

I nod, "Sure thing."

I stir the rice before closing the pot. "Where is Sammy?"

"Went out to a friend's house." She replies briefly. My mum and I, well, we're not exactly the same but we get along pretty well.

"Well, I'm going to be in my room Mum." I say and walk off.

I plug in my headphones and listen to every sad song I have on repeat. You might think I listen to rock but no, I don't. That stuff is shitty and lacks sense of melody. In my opinion at least.

I'm dreading school tomorrow, but then again, I always dread school. More people staring at me, more judgements and assumptions of my life.

I'm also not looking forward to The Happy Project, it takes place every year in our high school and most people are happy already so it isn't that hard. I wonder who my partner will be this year, my partner last year was a snobby popular girl and let's just put it this way: I ditched her. Wouldn't want to hang with a bitch, or open up to her. For 9th and 10th grade, I was actually happy.

Basically, in the project you both have to make a video and write a 300 word essay on each other. If someone is happy you can get started right away, but if they aren't you have to make them happy. Seems easy right? There's a catch, you have to make them happy permanently.

I mean, like not happy for a day. Make sure they'll be happy for at least a month, if that's not possible you have to write about how you failed. A pretty sweet deal if you ask me, but then no one really cares about what I think.

As I listen to Let Her Go by Passenger, I stare at an old picture of me and my dad. Before the music takes me away to a land of unicorns, I whisper, "I miss you, Dad."

===========

Hey!

Whaddaya think? Chapter 1 will be up soon hopefully.

Dedicated to raindropsoflove because she's a sweet girl and a bomb writer. Go read her works.

Vote, Comment and Share.