“I love your garden.” I said without thinking. I was in awe at this amazing and well cared for garden.

“Thank you. It took me quite some time to get it to look this neat.” He smiled proudly

 The grand master was tall, 6’0 at least. He had short brown hair and deep brown eyes. He was handsome, no doubt about it. And he was young, 30 at most. He was a great friend for my father. He was very kind, but very strict. He’s like an uncle to me.

“I want you to practice using sticks, two of them. This isn’t fencing anymore. This is swordplay. Just though you might want to know.” He said. There’s a big difference between fencing and swordplay. Fencing is an indoor sport, while swordplay is a skill.

“But I thought… I didn’t know you taught swordplay.” I said in the utter most shock.

“Your father thought you might want to learn something new after fencing. And seeing as how I don’t have anything else to teach to you about the art of fencing, I thought I could start teaching you the two-sword style. After all, I don’t want to loose my best student. I would also suggest you take off your fencing gear and just stick with pants and a shirt.” He said with a smile. Best student? What an honor!

“Right of course sir!” I said, smiling, and removing the headgear first, than the second fencing jacket gear, then the second pants gear. I could never remember their professional names, so I gave them those nicknames. The grand master gave me two sticks, and two weight lifters.

“Start with the weight lifters, they will improve your strength on both arms, not that you aren’t strong.” He laughed a little. What’s so funny? “When you feel you’ve done enough… Knowing you, enough would be in a few eons… so when the clock hits ten. Call me.” He said going back to his dojo. He knew me so well, I grinned.

I looked at the weight lifters, sighing I picked them up. Boy, were they heavy. I looked the number, fifty! He gave me a weight of fifty pounds! The most I ever did was thirty. Oh well, I can’t afford to waste any more time. I started out slowly, like up, two three four, down, two tree four. Then I went faster, up, two three, down, two three. Then ever faster, up, two, down, two. Then, as fast as I could go, up down up down. And by the time it was 10 O’clock, I was ready for a heavier set.

“Grand master! I finished!” I shouted. “It’s ten in the morn’!”  I added. I dropped the weight lifters and picked up the sticks.

“Good! I’ll be out in a minute!” He shouted. He went outside. “Now listen carefully, I’ll only say this once. I want you to hit this bamboo tree like this.” He said hitting it with one hand, and then the other. “Your turn.” I did as he did; it was a little hard I admit. “In half an hour I shall be here.” He was trying to teach me this skill rapidly. Why though?

“Grand master, you seem to be in a hurry to teach me this. Is there any reason why?” I asked, not being able to resist the urge the question gave me.

“Well, you did finish learning all there is to know of fencing. And there’s one more reason…” He said. He was hiding something. “The military wants you at war…” He was unable to look at me.

“Then why hire me? And why teach me swordfight? They use guns and bullets, not swords and swords!” I asked in disbelief. “You are a skilled fighter, the Confederate army needs you! They just lost a major battle! Your father spoke so much about you, they saw you fighting here once, and they liked you. They were willing to ignore the fact that you are a women.” He said.

“It doesn’t make sense. Don’t I have a choice? Can’t I stay here?” I asked.

“I don’t know, they said that they would take you next week. They said they were going to train you to fight with guns. They think you’re too great an asset to let go.” He looked down. “And I was planning on hiring you before they came. So I decided to act like they didn’t come. I was also planning on teaching you the art of swordplay today as well. Not on this speed, but still… I’m sorry.” He sighed. I took the sticks and did as he asked.

“Fine.” I said rudely. How can they do this to me? I’m only fifteen! Tomorrow I’d be turning sixteen! I’m just a kid, just a little kid.

“Go home.” He said. “Think things over.” He added. I nodded. I knew I looked calm, but I also knew I was angrier than the sun is bright. “Also, take these.” He handed me my fencing gear back, and also a set of two swords and two sticks. “Just in case.” He said.

“Thank you grand master.” I took the items. “I’ll do my best.” I gave him a smile, but to me it was a fake.

When I got home I decided to not tell mom, at least not until we finish diner. Which is still hours to come. Nobody was home yet, so I started my schooling early. I was finished by the time mom was done.

“Home already?” She asked worried.

 “They let us out earlier today.” I smiled at her. That was a lie; they let me out earlier today. “So I finished my studies early today.” I smiled at her. She smiled back.

“That’s my girl.” Her voice was sweet. “Tonight we have a wedding to attend, and don’t forget your aunt chose you to be one of her pianist.” She smiled at me as if she was proud.

“Of course, I shall get ready right now.” I said. “When does the wedding start?” I asked.

“In three hours, so you have one hour and a half to get ready.” She said.

 “Alright. Thank you.” I said.

“Jolecia! Don’t forget to wear the bracelet!” Great, the bracelet that weighs a ton…

“Yes mother!” I said fake cheery. I ran up to my room and took off my clothes; I took a quick shower before putting on new undergarment and a new corset. I swear they made those things for someone to choke on. I put on the white dress that aunt Eli designed for me. It was tight, I’ll tell you that.

Soon enough it was time to go to her wedding. Eli smiled when she saw me. Her wedding gown was beautiful, it was the usual white and it had decorations. It was a strapless, and like a ball gown. She was pretty I would have to admit.

“You look so pretty!” I told her.

“Thank you darling. Did you practice the song I asked you to play?” Of course she must be joking, “I’m just kidding! You look marvelous!” She winked at me.

“Thanks aunt Eli.” I smiled at her. She’s such a great aunt.

The ceremony was like any other wedding, except that I played the piano. I played “Here Comes The Bride” When she was coming up the Alter and some other songs when it was the after party.

“I loved your playing!” Many people said to me when it was time to leave. I had never played in public before; I only did it this time for aunt Eli. Plus, this wasn’t even my type of playing.

When we got home I went straight to my room, I closed the door and sat on the piano stool.

I started to play Beethoven Moonlight Sonata.

I didn’t want to leave this amazing place, I love everyone here, and I’m sure they love me.

I know my parents are rich, sometimes spoiled and sometimes annoying, I know my brother is bossy, I know my dad went to fight the Union, I know my mother is strict, I know my aunt hates my dog and I know I’m not the greatest person ever, but I love everyone and everything I have. Why must I leave it all?