Sometimes Reality Is Better Than Dreams

Start from the beginning

She was startled out of her deliriously happy thoughts when she heard the bedroom door opening behind her and she spun around with a frown, poised to defend herself if necessary but then relaxed at the sight in front of her. Elijah stood in the doorframe in a charcoal grey suit pants and a white button up undershirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, carrying in his hands a tray with what appeared to be breakfast. The scent of coffee and waffles wafted through the room as Imogen gasped in surprise at the gesture, sucking her lower lip into her mouth to hide the beaming smile that threatened to spread across her lips.

"What's this?" she asked happily as she practically skipped towards him, feeling like she was floating on a cloud and he turned his head towards her with a crooked grin as his gaze skirted over her exposed legs before returning to her face.

"It was supposed to be breakfast in bed, but it appears you've managed to thwarted my dastardly plans." he answered teasingly as he quirked an eyebrow at her in silent disapproval and she smiled cheekily as she stood up on her tiptoes, carefully avoiding the tray in his hands to press a chaste kiss to his lips.

Imogen glanced down at the lightly toasted waffles, sliced banana and strawberries to the side, a pouring jug full of maple syrup, a small bowl with hand whipped cream and a mug of coffee sitting next to the plate. Her mouth watered at the delicious smell coming from the food as she picked up the coffee cup and almost moaned as she sipped the bittersweet liquid, slightly surprised that it was made exactly how she liked it.

"Mm, perfect. Thank you." she told him gratefully as she smiled at him, watching as he set the tray down on the bedside table and she took another sip of her coffee as she strolled over to place the cup down next to it. The warmth of Elijah's presence next to her caused her skin to tingle as she turned around face him and draped her arms around his neck, her fingers playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist as he gently pulled her body closer until there was no space between them and she giggled uncharacteristically, looking up at him with a shy smile on her lips as she whispered, "Hi."

"Hello." he murmured in returned as he searched her features for any sign that she regretted their night together but he was pleased to note that her blue eyes were shining brightly with happiness.

Imogen stood up on her toes as she brought his lips down to meet hers in a passionate but loving kiss and she internally marvelled at the simplicity of the action, of the entire situation given how guarded both of them were. Other men had attempted to woo her with romantic gestures, showered her with gifts and compliments, but none of them had come closer to breaking through the protective barrier that had built up over the years of broken trust and abuse. She felt no shame in admitting that most of her sexual encounters were one night stands that were diluted by alcohol or brief flings between two consenting parties that were immediately put to an end if her partner expressed any further interest.

As clichéd as it was, Imogen felt like she was a new person; colours were brighter, noises were louder, her skin was tingling with anticipation, for what she wasn't sure but whatever it was, she was ready. The relationship between her and Elijah was different in every conceivable way. He was different in every conceivable way. It was like she hadn't known true happiness until she met him, until he unknowingly showed her another way to live. With the right person, you didn't have to work to be happy, it just happened effortlessly.

The witch moaned a little in the back of her throat as she pulled back from the kiss, dropping back down on her feet with a genuine smile playing on her lips and she shook her head a little in disbelief that she could experience that kind of happiness. She was starting to consider that maybe she wasn't meant to be happy, that she was just meant to survive in the world, maybe it was her role to make sure everyone else around her got their happily ever after.