Part 5

Molly walked up to the Marks and Spencers supermarket at the top of her road and picked up a basket as she entered. This time of day it wad very quite and as ever the silence of the dairy ilse made her feel as lonely as ever. She picked up a small pint bottle of the finest organic milk for the little ginger cat who sometimes accompanied her during the lojg evenings. She bought him the expressive stuff in a vain attempt to keep his company, but alas he would often never turn up and the milk would go sour in the bowl she had placed on her window ledge. But worse, much worse than this would be when he came, drunk his milk and left with out even setting a paw inside the apartment. He would teasingly sit on the ledge and purr away as he drank, quite content with using Molly for his own personal gain.

After dairy, it was down to the fish counter for some fresh kippers. She was sure if the cat smelt the fish, she would have his company for the evening. And she really needed someone to stay with her. Lastly she walked down to the bakery section and picked out a medium sliced tiger bread loaf and a treacle tart for afters. She used the self check out and stayed calm as the machine kept demanding that she "place the items in the bagging area". The automated voice made her feel like a criminal standing trial. The jury had reached a decision, she would receive her receipt. She was out on bail and out the door in no time. Once she found herself back on the street she walked across the road and into Covent Garden tube station where she bleeped her oyster card on the barrier. She took the train all the way back to Morden.

Once at Morden she made her way across the road and waited for the 93 bus to North Cheam. Her flat was just round the corner from the bus stop. She got on the 93 and checked her phone, it was almost 8. She wondered where all her time had gone. She would soon have to go to bed and be up for another gruelling day of boring office work with only Marcus to brighten it up with a chat over coffee or a cheerful laugh. He was her reason for going to work each morning and he didn't even realise.

She got off the bus outside, what used to be Woolworths but was now carpet store. She walked to the traffic lights and waitied for the signal to go. She look behind her at the old office block stood like a ruin, left with no dignity or care for itself. Fiddling in her pockets for her keys she came across; tissues covered in mascara (to remind her of the sad times when Marcus would subtly reject), half a Kit Kat wrapper (for when she would get knocked back by Marcus and have nithing else to fill the hole in her life except junk food) and a few loose coins. Finally she found her key and placed it into the door. She walked into the empty hall and took a deep sigh as much as "well this is it, another night alone".