Chapter Seventeen

Začať od začiatku

My breath catches in my throat and my cheeks instantly turn a shade of pink. I have no idea what to say to be nice and no words leave my lips. Does Daniel not realize that this is wrong on so many levels? Mary is his girlfriend, not me. Besides, I’m wearing the horse necklace Emery got me and always have been. Clearly he’s noticed by now.

“Well?” I blink out of my shock as Danny stands in front of me, his smile not wavering as he waits for me to say something.

“I have no idea what to say,” I finally spit out after a few more moments of awkward silence.

“You don’t have to say anything,” he laughs, grabbing the gold chain. “Let me put it on.” Before he can even get it out of the box I cover his hand with mine, stopping him. “What’s wrong?” He finally asks, realizing how upset I am.

“This is really, really sweet of you, Daniel,” I start, the words flowing out uncomfortably after each other.

“You can call me Danny, River,” he corrects, laughing again as if everything’s okay.

Danny,” I repeat, feeling even more uneasy. “But I can’t accept this. Shouldn’t you be giving this to Mary?” I emphasize her name, pleading that he understands how wrong this is.

Danny waves his hand as if my words mean nothing. “Oh, Mary wouldn’t care for a little thing like this.” My heart sinks when I realize that he’s completely wrong. Mary would die for something like this. “Besides, it would look better on you than that silly horse you’re wearing now.”

Anger seeps its way into my veins as my hand instantly clasps the horse protectively. “Actually,” I object, not caring about my tone playing off as nice anymore. “Emery, my boyfriend gave this to me for my birthday and I love it.”

Daniel holds his hands up defensively. “No need to get upset. If you like that cheap necklace that’s fine, I’m just saying you’d look a lot prettier in this one.” He gestures to the box and I move my eyes to his car, avoiding his gaze.

“You really shouldn’t be saying that to me when you’re with Mary,” I mumble nervously, not liking how Daniel’s eyes are watching me.

With Mary?” Daniel starts laughing and I narrow my eyes at him. “Mary and I aren’t together. Sure, we’re seeing each other but that’s it.” I instantly smack Daniel’s arm as hard as I can and the box holding the necklace falls to the ground.

“Mary really likes you, Daniel,” I snap, clenching my teeth together in frustration as he scrambles to pick up the box. “You shouldn’t be toying with her heart. Either you tell her what’s going on, or I will.”

Daniel straightens out and leans closer to me, a smirk on his lips. “Oh, I’m not telling her anything and neither are you.”

I exhale noisily and laugh darkly. “She’s my best friend. What? You think I’m not going to let her know that you aren’t planning on having a relationship with her?”

He rolls his eyes before answering. “You really want to break your best friend’s heart?” he mimics, leaning backwards against his car. Folding his arms across his chest, he shoots me a dirty look. “Besides, do you really think she’s going to believe you?”

“Why wouldn’t she?” I place my hands on my hips and look around impatiently; hoping Emery might burst out the front door at any second.

“Because I’ll tell her you just want me for yourself, just like every other guy.” He smirks and I shake my head. “You have Emery, his friends were practically gawking at you the whole party and I heard all about Vince.” At the mention of Vince, my hands clench into fists and I debate whether or not to punch him right in the face. “Besides, I make her happy. Who wouldn’t want their best friend to be happy?”

This whole conversation is completely wrong, however as horrible as it seems, Daniel has somewhat of a point. I don’t think I could crush Mary and even though we’re best friends, I can’t be sure if she would believe me over Danny.

“Vince tried to rape me,” I snap, my cheeks flushing with anger as I defend myself.

“Oh,” laughs Danny, brushing my hair behind my ear. I instantly swat his hand away and glare at him. “Don’t act like you didn’t want him to.”

My hand stings as it slaps Daniel’s right cheek. “Get the hell off my property!” I scream, hoping my dad might come with the shotgun. Danny holds his cheek, a smirk playing on his lips. However he shoots me a look to keep quiet and I refuse to listen. “Leave!”

“Mary’s jealous of you, River,” Daniel laughs, slamming the driver’s side door closed. He rolls down his window, flashing me a grin. “It will only take a little white lie to unravel your friendship.”

By the time Daniel’s speeding down the road, I’m crumpled on the dirty ground, crying. Emery finds me a few seconds after and rushes to my side.

“River, what’s wrong?” He asks worriedly, however I shield my swollen eyes from him with my hair.

“Nothing,” I whisper as he pulls me to my feet. “Nothing’s wrong.”