Chapter 9

We had been maybe an hour out from the site and it was as if it had never happened. Except... it did happen. Every moment of it. It was stuck in my memory. In my being.

"Mary, you are getting heavy," Ken complained I could see the hurt on Mary's face at his words but even she was getting uncomfortable too.

The others were practically asleep since they had been awake at the break of dawn to make food and do research that I had already done for myself the night before. Whenever the noise of the engine would be disturbed by the sound of voices, their eyes would twitch to life and stay in little slits before they would shift their bodies to a slightly different position before falling asleep all over again.

"Sir, why don't we stop for a few minutes to let everyone stretch?" Luckily the driver we had spoke english so he glanced at me before looking back to the road.

"That is not the best idea young girl. Thugs and grave robbers come this way at night. If we aren't careful then we could be stranded out here for a while." I looked back to my friends and saw that the two who had been asleep were wide awake now and Mary and Ken tried to seem as comfortable as possible.

"Well I'm willing to chance that we will be fine for five minutes. Please pull over so that my legs don't need to be amputated." We all chuckled a bit and the driver, reluctantly, stopped the car in the middle of this sea of black. Within moments of the car being put in park, even the driver climbed out and stretched his arms up.

"Thanks Sena. Your idea was so brilliant," Ken mocked and I held back the urge to kick his shins. Instead I opted out for punching his shoulder.

"Ow," he cried and I took his earlobe between my fingers and dragged him a yard or so from everyone.

"Now listen here you, Mary likes you so I thought that this would be a good bonding experience but all you have done is complain. If you so much as utter another word of complaint, you can be tied to the hood of the car like a fresh kill and sported all around Cairo. Understood?" For a moment, my tone turned deadly and I noticed the bobbing of his Adam's apple as he swallowed down his fear. With a quick nod, I released his lobe and walked back to the car, allowing for my legs to enjoy the freedom.

As my arms stretched up into the air, I heard him mutter something under his breath, the sound of it familiar yet foreign.

"Ken, what did you just say? And so help me god if it is something about me I will kick you the rest of the way to Cairo." When my eyes met his, there was a flash of red in them before it disappeared. Red? Like Khan's eyes? His vampire eyes?

"Ken, your eyes," I whispered and saw a smirk plant itself onto his features. He couldn't be. He was in the sun all the time.

"What's wrong Sena? Thought he was the only special one?" I gasped and felt the warm metal of the car behind me as I felt the queen bring her way forward to meet his threat.

"What and who are you? You are not Ken." I answered back and by this point the others had stopped in their chatter to listen to the unusual words flowing from our mouths.

"Sena? Ken? What are you guys saying?" Mary's voice drifted to me and in a moment, I felt fear at what this could mean.

"Are you going to answer her Ankhesenamun?" He snipped and I felt the queen take over completely, my fear holding me back as she protected us.

"State your true name," she demanded with a power so fierce that everyone shook. She was someone completely different from me and since she had felt the bonds of friendship take over with the others, she felt the need to protect them like a true queen. The male before me sighed with the weight of my order and crossed his arms over his chest.