Chapter 23: Getting Closer

Start from the beginning

The door was unlocked. My mom wasn't home.

What?

I looked around. I saw a shadow move across my mom's room. I crept closer, not wanting to draw attention. I looked inside to see a middle aged man in what people would call classic robber attire. I was right behind him, unnoticeable, when I closed the door. I tapped the man on the shoulder. He turned around and when he saw me tried to fight me. I scoffed at his stupidity. I easily fought and defeated him and kicked him out of our house.

Quite literally, actually.

I wondered where my mom was. She said she was working from home, she must be at the store or something like that. I settled onto the couch, watching YouTube until my mom eventually came home.

"Hey honey. Did anything happen while I was gone?" She asked. I hesitated. It wasn't much of a big deal, since the guy was an idiot.

"No, nothing happened." I said.

She sighed in relief, as she did every day when she asked that question. The rest of the day was simply lounging around, watching television. Toward 10:00pm, I got bored with television, so I went into my drawers. I brought out my sketchbook, which I hadn't used in weeks. I looked through some of my drawings and smiled. Some of these had been from a while ago.

And before my parents got divorced.

I grabbed a pencil and drew a self portrait.

Even though I absolutely sucked at drawing, I still drew for an hour.

I called my manager, to see if there was any fights tomorrow to pass the time.

"Yes, we have some time tomorrow at 5:30. Up for that? My manager asked.

I nodded. "Sounds great, better go tell my mom. Bye."

And with that I hang up. It feels better now that my mom knows about the fights because it feels like I don't hide as many secrets from her. Note that I said as many. *Nudge Nudge*

I fell asleep that night finishing an episode of 13 Reasons Why.

******************

Since I decided to change from the beeping sound to the radio, it wasn't so abrupt this morning. I woke up, feeling slightly more refreshed. I went downstairs already dressed in a black crop top and faded ripped jeans.

I didn't grab coffee this morning as I went straight to the toaster and popped in two slices of bread. After a moment or two or waiting, a ding went off and the toast popped up. I grabbed the toasted bread and grabbed the peanut butter. I spread the peanut butter onto the toast and sat down.

When I finished the toast I went upstairs, brushed my teeth, put on makeup, grabbed my bag, and grabbed a pair of combat boots. As a finishing touch I added my felt black bomber jacket. I opened the door of my black car and sped away to school.

I arrived at school and parked. When I got out Julia was there.

Going through school I was so distracted I didn't even notice that we were assigned homework in 3 classes.

Well, shit.

When school ended I walked right out like fire was on my heels. It was Friday, after all, so who wouldn't? I drove home and got on my fighting gear. A Nike sports bra and black leggings that went down just below my knees. Since this was comfy, I spent the next two hour in it before driving to the gym, texting my mom saying I had a fight.

When I got to the club I lifted some weights for warm up, and walked up to the ring. The bell dinged and within less than a minute I had him pinned to the ground. After the fight I collected the money I won and went home.

When I came home, my mom saw the money and gawked. "You get that much from one fight?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah, I do. I've been fighting for 3 years now, I have a pretty good college fund and enough spending money left over. You could say I'm fairly rich."

My mom closed her mouth. "Well, that's a good way to make money if you win all the time."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Mom do you think I won at all when I started? No. I trained, my fuel being the shit people gave me when I was a nerd. I don't have that fuel anymore, but thinking about it over and over and thinking about how I could hurt them gave me a new power source. Chill, I've never hurt anyone but Tiffany." I casually mentioned the last part.

My mom seemed to anger at the last part. "Tiffany? You mean Tiffany Wilde?" She asked. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "That's the one." My mom sighed in annoyance.

"I know her and her mom. And may I say Tiffany is a total bitch. I know it's weird for me to say that but I definitely know where Tiffany gets her attitude." My mom finished. I smiled in agreement.

Anyway, because of the fact that I was tires and that I wanted this day to end, I flopped into my bed and the darkness took over my sight.

*********************

I loved waking up on Saturdays because you can wake up whatever time you want. Because of this, I slept until 10:30am. Still feeling groggy, I walked downstairs and made pancakes.

After eating those I went to get dressed and I went to Julia's. I spent three hour with her, and eventually we went to the gym together.

Sometimes when I'm ecstatic I'm filled with adrenaline and have the urge to punch something. Of course this was done in happiness, but I always have that instinct. I know it's crazy, a lot like the entirety of me.

That night I thought about something I'd wondered when I first changed my image at school. I am still the same person. Why didn't people just do away with the clothes and still treat me like shit? I know I'm happy with the way they treat me but I've always wanted to know. Did they know all along, or were they intimidated by me? Was I just a vulnerable person they could count on to get their hatred out? I felt the second option was more likely. But, my questioning brain was finally put at temporary rest when the comforts of sleep overtook me.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while now! I was busy this week with homework, my one English teacher always gives us homework! #thestruggleisreal

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for 8 thousand reads and over 300 votes! I swear I started crying when I saw this book getting so many reads.

I love you all so much for giving me a chance on my first book. You guys are a light in my life and I don't honestly know how this book got this way.

Xoxoxo,

Grace <3