Chapter 9: Corporate Headquarters

Lula

Lula stood in front of Toro Corporation's headquarters, staring up at the front entrance from the sidewalk. "What am I doing here, Jing?"

The man didn't say anything in response but Lula expected nothing less. The most he'd ever said to her was during the night of Lee's attack and since then he'd somehow become even more withdrawn than usual. She noticed that bags were starting to form under his eyes and his shoulders had a hunch that wasn't there before. No matter how many times she asked him to forgive himself for what happened, no matter how many times she told him it wasn't his fault and she didn't blame him, he seemed to become more and more depressed by the day.

"Jing, can I trust you today?" She asked him and he stared down at her. "I don't know what we're about to walk into here but I need to know that you're here for me. Present, you know?"

Jing nodded.

"That's all I need, okay? Just be with me, watch the people here, make sure I'm safe."

He nodded again.

"Okay, then let's go."

The first step was harder to take than she thought it would be. It wasn't any taller than any other step in the world but her dread was starting to weigh her down. The next step was somehow even more difficult and the next and the next. When she didn't think she could keep ascending to those tall glass doors that marked the entrance to Lee's new secret home she felt Jing place his strong hand between her shoulder blades and it emboldened her. She looked up at him and smiled. "Thank you."

Jing didn't nod this time, he didn't even look at her. He was focused forward and she borrowed some of that focus to reach the doors and push them open. There was a large marble desk in the lobby with a bored looking young woman sitting behind it. She was filing her nails as Lula approached.

"Welcome to Toro Co. Headquarters," She said without looking up. "How can I help you."

"Um, I'm looking for Doctor Mariella Whynn?"

"I'm sorry, sir, but nobody works here by that name."

"Sir?" Lula scratched her head. "Are you even paying any attention to me?"

"Sir, I--" The receptionist finally looked up and her mouth dropped open. "Oh my God! You're Lula Lavender!"

"And as you can see, most certainly not a sir."

"No, no, I'm so sorry. I can't believe it! Lula Lavender, here, standing right in front of me! Oh, I gotta call Janis."

"No, I have something I need your help with, don't call your friend."

"Oh God, this is amazing, I think I might faint." The woman was fanning herself with her slender hands, Lula could see her eyes growing wet. "I'm crying! Lula Lavender is standing here and I'm crying, can you believe it?"

"Look, if you could just get me Doctor Whynn." Lula pulled the doctor's card from her bag and presented it to the receptionist.

"Of course, of course! Doctor Whynn, right away!" The woman lifted her phone and dialed. "Hey, Calli? I got someone down here for the doctor. I know, I know, she doesn't take drop ins. I know she doesn't like to be interrupted but, Calli, it's freaking Lula Lavender!" Lula heard the click as the line went dead and the receptionist held the phone out to look at it. "She probably like, had a seizure, she's a big fan. I'm a big fan! I can't believe you're here!"

"So, am I gonna get to see the doctor, or..."

"Yeah, yeah. I was just joking. She's probably coming to escort you now. Fair warning, she's got these scars on her face. If you're smart, you'll make sure you don't look at them."