Chapter 16: Date night

"Amelia, sweetness, can you be quicker making my tea? I'm parched over here." moans Mr.Knox, my rather overbearing boss. "And if you could have those manuscripts proof read and on my desk by the time you break for lunch, that'll be fab." he suggests, although I know better than to assume there is room for compromise.

The fact that it's already 4.30 in the afternoon and I've still yet to eat is proof of that.

"Sure, I'll just grab your tea now and crack on with my pile." I sigh, pushing myself away from my desk to wander through into the communal kitchen.

I soon enter the open plan space and immediately spot Sally making her usual 4.30 coffee in her customary 'I hate Monday's' mug. She doesn't notice me at first and I watch in awe as she gently hums along to the radio, certainly giving Beyoncé a run for her money. Once I'm happy I've got my fill, I edge closer to the kettle and make my presence known, instantly being rewarded with a show stopping smile afterwards.

"Sorry babe, I was miles away. How was the wedding? Meet any gorgeous hunks?" she questions, curious as ever.

"Maybe." I reply, carful not to give much away in my way of explaining. How was your weekend?" I then ask, grabbing a mug from the top cupboard and reaching for a fresh spoon in the drawer.

"Boring, uneventful, mundane." she replies, spooning some coffee granules into her mug. "Have you had lunch yet or has boss man still got a firm wedge up his ass?" she laughs, offering me a side glance daring enough not to be lied to.

I giggle in response and shake my head; mumbling a quick "Nothing I can't handle." before dropping a tea bag in my own mug.

"You're too kind for your own good sometimes. Don't let him walk all over you." she demands, ever the friend in looking out for me.

"I'll eat soon, Sal, I promise." I squeak, whilst adding some water and a dash of milk to my concoction; just how he likes it.

She mutters a bunch of incoherent words in response but I don't hear much as I swiftly make my exit to take Mr Knox his tea.

"Great, I need those manuscripts sharp, Amelia. You can't leave here until I have them." he states when I position the mug in front of his scowling face.

I nod my head in response and leave immediately, ignoring the sharp rumble of hunger that cuts through my stomach in an agonising punch. I return to my desk in no time to find a ham sandwich and an apple waiting for me, along side a note that instantly has my mood brightening.

<you need to eat, babe. P.S Carter is a prick! ;) Sal xx>

I chew down on my cheek to suppress the inevitable laughter and make sure to dispose of the note in fear of it reaching wrong hands. I then take to my seat and sink my teeth into the most delicious ham sandwich I've ever experienced and thank Sally a million times over in my head for being the God send she is.

Where would I be with her? Starving, no doubt.

~~~~

By the time 5.30 comes around, I have all manuscripts filed and finished, ready for Mr Knox to asses, per his request. I hastily plonk the heavy load down on his desk with a professional smile that I have become so very accustomed to and voice out my polite goodbyes before the infuriating man can land any more work on me. After that, I exit the building with a determined jog and a slight spring to my step, making sure to grab my purse on the way out and mentally preparing myself for my customary fifteen minute walk home. It's not long before I find myself soaking up the evenings sun and its while I'm enjoying the golden rays that I become aware of something rather unexpected in the office parking lot.