17: Space Station Surprises

The door slid open, jolting Leia out of her sleep. She stifled a yawn and looked up, and as soon as she did all fatigue left her body for the time being. Vader strode into the room confidently, crossing his arms and eyeing the young farmgirl skeptically.

Leia knew better than to speak first due to her sparse torture sessions lead by Vader himself, so she kept her mouth shut. She still wasn't completely sure why she was still alive, but one thing she did know was that if she didn't make herself useful soon then she wouldn't stay that way.

The tall, black-clad man approached Leia, and she did her best to appear confident or at least nonchalant while internally quaking with fear. But she'd never let him see that.

"Leia Skywalker." Vader boomed, and the loudness of his voice made Leia automatically wince despite herself.

"Yes?"

"I am giving you a chance at freedom, but only if you do one thing for me." Leia's heart rose immediately only to fall back slightly.

"What?" She asked, looking at the man curiously. What in blazes could she offer to the leader of the Empire?

"You are to be my personal assistant for awhile, until you are ready to join the Imperial Academy." Vader demanded, while Leia just sat on her hard bed in shock. "You shall be trained to fight by me, and will enlist in the Imperial Academy while also learning the ways of the Force."

"The Force?" Leia blurted before she could stop herself, swallowing and looking down at the ground. She knew what would happen once she interrupted because she had done it before, and it resulted in her receiving painful electric shocks.

"Yes, the Force. It's the energy field that surrounds us beings, and you shall learn to use it as your weapon because you are able to." Vader replied, gesturing for Leia to stand. She obeyed, rising slowly but being sure to stay as far away from the Dark Lord as possible.

As crazy as the man sounded, Leia couldn't help but feeling as if she were able to manipulate this Force all her life, maybe in subtle ways.

"You are powerful Leia, and with the right training you will become much more than you could ever hope to be." Vader looked down at her. "I will help you."

Leia was speechless. A few minutes ago she was worried about staying alive while now she was offered the chance of a lifetime. And with her entire family gone, what other chance at a new life could she receive than this? The Empire was far from perfect, but it was definitely better than most things out there. Luke had always possessed a disliking for the Empire, but Leia had simply learned to keep her head down and protect her brother when his rebellious behavior got him into trouble.

He was so rebellious she couldn't afford to be, and now looking up at the powerful man she was struck with a sense of fulfillment. She opened her mouth to speak, but the door slid open, revealing an anxious officer.

"My Lord, we have captured a ship flying through the debris of Alderaan and believe it to be linked to the message Captain Antilles sent." The officer announced, clearly nervous at the aspect of interrupting the Dark Lord during an interrogation session but apparently feeling that this news was worth it.

Vader was silent, making both Leia and the officer even more nervous. Finally, he started to walk out of the room but stopped, turning to Leia.