"And what about me, your Queen?" I said in a harsh whisper. "You should not come in between my family matters."

"I am a part of your family now." He said with a smirk, I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, not knowing what he meant.

"No you are not." I didn't know who I was trying to convince here, my mate or I.

"Oh but you are," the amusing voice now emerged within him. "You blatantly admitted, in front of everyone, that I am your mate."

I took a few steps back from him, shocked at the fact that my mind would compulsorily make me do such a thing. This was a disaster, I had already completed the first stage of the mating process, just one day after I got out of prison. I cursed myself for being so weak, it seemed that jumping out of the window was the only option.

"I take it back!" I quickly tried to cover up, "I said it out of anger, I didn't mean it."

"Tell that to the Moon Goddess." Ares said as he stepped closer to me, I knew where this was going so I quickly turned my back on him and walked away.

Unfortunately, that was cut short as Ares grabbed me swiftly by the waist and pushed my pelvic bone in order to turn me around. We were closer than we ever were, and every inch of my body and soul wanted me to close the gap between us. I tried to lean back to remove myself from his embrace but he put a strong hand on my upper back and pulled me back to him. His scintillating did not move from mine, he was testing to see the real reason behind the feud.

"What do you not like about your her?" That question hit a soft spot in my heart, I tried to look away but his grip got tighter around my body causing me to train back my eyes on him.

"I guess, I'm jealous of her." my voice came out barely as a whisper, "Athena is extremely smart, she is enticingly beautiful, and she is nice. I can see why you like her."

What I said wasn't the complete truth, yes, I was jealous of her but not because I thought she was smarter or prettier than me. The reason why I disliked Athena so much was that she had a better life... better parents than I did. Even though she was a bastard, she was loved way more than I was.

Ares' eyes showed doubt, he knew I was not telling him the whole truth. However, he decided to let it go, I wasn't sure for how long. He slowly moved back by a little distance giving me ample space to get comfortable.

"Well, you should know," He began, "That you are the most captivating woman I have ever laid my eyes on."

My jaw nearly fell onto the floor, I had never seen this side of Ares. To me, he always seemed like a man who held composure with the occasional humorous side. But this, it was something on a whole different level. Apparently, he wasn't done yet.

"But beauty is only skin deep," He continued, "And every woman I have met is, in a way, beautiful."

My face slowly began to falter and my walls were growing taller and taller. I was slowly starting to block him out since he didn't see me in a very special light.

"But you, my Queen," His words interrupted my thoughts, "You are resilient, you have defied every law there is. At the tender age of eighteen, you sat on that throne with that crown proudly placed on your head. No woman has ever done that..."

He slowly leaned in after he had said those words, and for the first time, his eyes had moved from mine to my lips. My breath got caught in my throat and I stood still; I didn't move, I didn't blink.

"And believe me, Aphrodite," His hand was now on my face, his fingertips gently brushing my lips, "No woman ever will."

A sudden surge of power and desire erupted through my chest, pushing me forward towards him. My body was pressed against his and left no space between us, while my arms wrapped themselves around his neck.

And my lips were on his.

This was nothing I could control, it was like a spell working its way through my mind and convincing me to be more emotionally attached to my mate. And the feeling was ecstatic, I had never been kissed like this before, not with this amount of passion. I had forgotten how to think, move or even breathe. All that was there in my mind at the moment, was the feeling of his sensual lips against mine.

Ares' skillfully moved his lips against mine, leaving me flustered and breathless. I had no idea what I was doing, in fact, I may have looked like a untamed wolf desperately needing to be with her mate. The softest whimper escaped my mouth as his tongue ravished mine, with every ounce of passion he had within him. I had always wondered what heaven felt like, and now I was exactly at that place.

The sparks flying from the kisses numbed my entire mouth, I loved the slight jolts of electricity pulsing through my veins. Ares' made me feel again, he rejuvenated something that I had lost in the 'Gehenna' years ago. Then all of a sudden, the tragedy of reality came crashing down on me.

The 'Gehenna', the numbness, the sparks... the feelings.

I widened my eyes as I tried to pull him away from me but he had me locked in every aspect and the magic of his lips made me roll my eyes to the back of my head into an eternal darkness. But even in my state of drowsiness, I could feel the pieces of the puzzle fixing itself.

The darkness, the fruits, the man who kissed me.

I finally found the courage to push him away from me, he stumbled back a bit shocked and flustered from the intimate moment we just shared. It was at that moment, I did the unthinkable and I will never forgive myself for that.

I slapped him.

Ares' had his jaw clenched, he looked down on the floor for a while before looking back at me. There was one emotion that I had never seen before but I was witnessing now, and it was that of pure rage. Slapping my mate was morally wrong, yes, but it was nothing compared to what he did to me.

"You saw the horrid conditions I was placed under!" My voice boomed with agony across the empty hallway. "And yet you just stood there and watched me bleed in agony."

Ares didn't say anything, he knew exactly what I was talking about. I was not a person to twist the words, I went straight to the point.

"You came in for a few days and fed me some fruits," I continued, "And then you kissed me, and left."

Ares could sense that I was heartbroken, yet he didn't say anything. Did he even feel remotely sorry? I sighed, trying to get rid off the tears that were forming in my eyes. I straightened the once crumpled dress and tried to walk past him. Of course, he had to stop me.

"I think my Beta already told you about this," he muttered with an emotionless voice. "But you shall be sleeping on my bed."

I didn't have a chance to say anything as he dragged me inside our rooms. As always, I did protest to that, I didn't want him to be this close to me especially after the revelation. I pulled myself from his grasp but it was impossible.

"Just leave me alone!" I said as I tried to get up from my bed. That was until I felt a strong arm wrap around my torso and a leg entangle with mine. The last thing I could remember was my mate nuzzled against my neck whispering calming words, I ignored the rest but only one stuck in my mind.

"Never."

❌❌❌

🌙 I wrote two chapters in a day, WOHOOO. I'm on a roll! Okay it's time to sleep now =)

🌙 Don't forget to vote and comment! Also, check out my first book Resurgence!

-Le_Roma