Chapter 07 - Nightfall

KANAN'S POV

The Love Live Corps took us new recruits off to a safe outpost some distance away from the Wall. The purpose is to help us new recruits be familiar with the new environment that we will be in. Basically, our first missions will most likely be horse training, sending messages, follow instructions from our new superiors, and kill some Alpacas to make us ready. The real Expedition will begin two days from now.

We didn't see any Alpacas as we travelled - towers guard the road towards the outpost and the area has already been secured by the elite members of the Corps. More so, we keep hearing a bit of cannonfire overhead of us, which meant that the cannon towers are doing their job keeping Alpacas at bay.

"I am happy that mankind is making good progress right now. I never expected that we would still feel very safe at the outskirts of Wall Emi.", said Mari.

"I am so excited to kill my first Alpaca!!", Dia announced it with a delighted expression.

"Be patient, Dia. You will get your chance later.", I said.

When we got to the outpost, nothing much seemed to go on either. The Legionnaires are just doing mundane tasks and just like any other camp we've been through, it was safe. We did encounter two of our classmates there, however. They are Ryo Aikawa (she is the Top 1 in our class so she is basically the best of the 98th Trainee Corps.), and Misaki Shido (didn't reach the Top Ten so her only options were either Garisson or Legion. She chose the Legion out of curiosity and the fact that Ryo is in it.)

"Oy! Over here!", shouted Ryo who is currently standing by at the stables with Misaki.

"Hey! Nice to see ya! Glad to find you guys in the Legion!", Dia greeted them as we got there.

"I told you guys before that it has been my goal from the start to be part of Love Live Corps.", Ryo said confidently.

"I have the same reasons too! Right now, the more the merrier, right?", Misaki added.

The three of us has had some history between these two girls. Firstly, Ryo is someone we established a friendship with due to her amazing skills in the Trainee Corps years ago - we asked her for help on how to improve our 3DMG skills and that's how we got to know each other. Ryo is calm, open-minded, and very hardworking.

In the case of Misaki, she happened to be hanging out with Ryo a lot besides helping out the other younger trainees so meeting her was somewhat inevitable. She is a very helpful kind of person and is kinda smart.

"We're waiting for our other classmates to come, so we are basically on standby by now.", Misaki mentioned in a way that she wants us to know how bored they are right now.

"Same as us. We are doing nothing all day it seems either.", I said.

"It makes sense though, right Kanan? We're just new recruits. No one is gonna expect us to do something great right off the bat.", Mari got the big picture sorted out quickly.

"And not just that, Mari. I don't think the veterans want us to die so soon so they're keeping us from harms' way....", said Ryo in an honest tone until...

"Ryo! Stop making it sound like we are a burden!", Misaki said.

"Oh. I thought I was just telling the truth.", Ryo replied with a bit of embarassment. The two of them looked at each other like they want to avoid making a fuss out of trivial debates. I find it odd, I guess.

At the end of the day, however, all we did was standby for orders - in other words we actually didn't do anything. Nor did anything happen in this outpost. All I see are people doing their stuffs, talking, and refilling their gas tanks. Some wore their hoods, some didn't. I can see that Dia is awfully getting bored with the wait. Mari, meanwhile, is chatting with Ryo and Misaki.