My Prison

Mundus had locked me in a room far from his office. There was a barred window, and the door was barred. The only piece of furniture was a small bed.

I sat on the edge of the bed, twiddling my thumbs. I was betrayed. I was forgotten. I was kidnapped. Did Jasmine see my kidnapper? Did she know I was gone?

I stood, moving to the barred window. I shook the bars. They were sturdy and cold. The only reassurance I got from the action was the fact that one of them were slightly wiggly. I reached for my pocket. My phone was still there, as was my wallet. My heart jumped. I pulled my phone out, trying for signal. I had none whatsoever. I held it up to the window. Nothing.

I blew a strand of hair from my face, plopping down on the floor. I placed my head in my hand. There has to be a way.

An imposter. That was what that man was.

"Demons can take the shape of anyone at anytime. But they always have one flaw. Whether it is looks, speech, or the way they act, they always have one."

Vergil's voice echoed through my head. The imposter Vergil had red eyes. I was tricked.

Anger bubbled from within me. I was played, and now I was being used. I couldn't believe I had let this happen to me. I put my phone next to the window again, sighing as the signal bar remained at zero.

I would have to do this on my own.

*                     *                     *

I sat, facing the barred door for hours. Mundus had sent someone to get me, and I almost smiled as he opened the door. This is what I was waiting for. Mundus had not come himself, instead sending a servant to retrieve me. This plan would fall in place well.

The servant grabbed me roughly by the arm, dragging me in front of him, gun in my back. I walked where he told me, amazed that we had to take an elevator. They had blind folded me when they took me to the cell originally. He pressed the thirty-second button. pointing the gun at my head as the doors closed.

I did not meet his eyes, afraid that the challenge would earn me lead to the forehead. I remained silent. I could hear his breathing. It was heavy, as if he was nervous.

Maybe he is a newbie, I thought. It made perfect sense. I would have to ask.

With full caution, I opened my mouth, "New to the job?"

The man seemed to jump. He had to be no older than me, tall with pure black hair. A neatly trimmed goatee covered his chin. He was sweating as he tightened his grip on the gun.

"Shut up. I have orders to shoot you if you talk."

"Then do it." I knew I was playing a hard bargain. I could easily die here as I could confuse him.

His finger twitched, "I told you to shut up-"

"Look, my hands are tied here. I have nowhere to go, nothing to do. For all I know, this could be my last hour. I barely have any friends and I am terrified. I think I deserve to talk to someone."

He chuckled, "Well, you aren't going to get me to talk to you. I have strict orders, and I plan to follow them. I get paid for how well I follow those orders."

"Oh, I get it. This is about money."

"Not just money. I have a job. I NEED this job."

"Well, jeez, don't let me spoil it. Even though you are GETTING AN INNOCENT WOMAN KILLED!"

He smirked, "If that is what it takes..."

The elevator dinged and the silver doors squeaked open. I reluctantly stepped out, feeling the barrel of the man's gun jam into my back. Mundus sat in his chair with his back to us. He pulled his hand back and forth from the red circling thingy in front of us. Red sparks flew into his hand, sizzling as they touched his skin.

"You may leave us, Jesse."

Jesse nodded, even though Mundus couldn't see him, "Yes sir."

I watched him turn back to the elevator and disappear.

"How are you enjoying your stay?"

"On a scale from one to ten? Zero."

A sound escaped from him. It sounded choked and forced. I soon realized it was a laugh.

"But you have everything you need."

"Yeah, but I've been locked in a tiny cell, kidnapped from my own home, left with no signal on my phone to tease me, forced to come here at gun point, and see your ugly mug. Yup, what a great stay. I cannot wait to do it again."

Mundus chuckled again, standing and facing me. He wasn't much taller than I, just really old. He stalked slowly over to me, and I held my ground. I knew that he could hurt me, Vergil would find out. Then his ass would be grass.

"What a clever young girl Vargil found."

"You pronounced it wrong. It is Vergil."

He smiled, "Oh I know. Do you not recognize sarcasm?"

"And he isn't 'mine'."

Mundus ran his hand across my face, and I jerked away. This made him smile harder. His ugly greenish teeth flashed.

"Poor mortal. You do not see how easily you die. How easily I can extinguish your soul."

I glared at him, "Go ahead. I don't care. Maybe I want to die. At least I won't be forced to be stuck with you. It's no wonder Sparda forsook you. You are a complete mess!"

He balled a fistful of my hair in his hand, jerking my head back, "Don't you EVER bring up his name! He is a traitor! A spineless coward!"

I found a crack in this wall of stone. I sneered at the figure looming above me, "Maybe you are just jealous and you don't care to share it? Oh yeah, that would show that you actually have a heart."

He released my hair, grabbing the front of my shirt, "You do have a death wish, don't you?"

"No, I have an intelligent mind. I have humanity. Something your corrupted mind will never understand."

His glare turned into a forced smile, "I am a god. And your precious Nephilim didn't kill me the first time. I have power. Something your mortal self will never be able to process."

I shrugged, "So? Power isn't always everything."

He snickered, "In the world you are getting yourself involved in? Yes it does. Power is the bane of your existence here."

I jerked my chin at the red swirly thingy, "What's that?"

He released me, walking proudly the red thing, 'This," He said motioning to it, "Is the portal to the demon world. The Hellgate."

Vergil shut that before. It is the only thing keeping him immortal.

 "I will let your puny mind wrap itself around that."

I smiled sarcastically at him, "Oh how considerate of you."

"Yes, I tend to be that way sometimes."

"Why isn't it shut? I thought Vergil closed it before."

He shook his head, "How stupid are you? I obviously reopened it. Duh."

I flipped him off, "Screw you."

"Really? For real?"

"Fuck you! You disgusting pervert!"