CHAPTER 52- A STRONG HEART

'No, No, No. How did it happen? Which.... which.... hospital....?' Umaira asked frantically.

'Why you care?' Siham rudely cut the call.

'No, No, NO, NO...don't cut the call...Damn!' Umaira redialled Siham's number, she clenched her hair in tight fist frustrated. Several failed attempts later, Umaira sat on the bed feeling numb -Siham has switched off her phone. 'No, No, no...Nothing can happen to Mehran...nothing can...' She kept repeating. Mrs. Siddiqui rushed to her, she twisted the door knob and panicked realizing the door is locked. In state of panic, she dialled Ibrahim's number.

Mehran was shifted on a stretcher and wheeled out from the ICU. He is to be taken for the tests, he has not yet gained consciousness. Everyone followed the stretcher till they were asked not to. Everyone stood outside holding their breathes, making silent prayers that he recovers soon. Doctors rushed in and soon began their tests. Mrs. Ali panicked seeing all the huge complicated and dangerous looking machine.

'My Mehran won't get hurt. It looks painful.' Mrs. Ali cried pointing at the MRI machine.

'No, Mehran is very strong.' Amreen said wrapping her arm around her mother's shoulder, consoling her. Mrs. Ali hid her face in her daughter's shoulder and sobbed. Junaid and Mr. Ali paced in the corridor; while Siham sat on one of the benches, numb like a zombie.

Ibrahim knocked at the door several times but failed to have it opened. He and Mr. Siddiqui then had to break the door. Umaira is sitting on her bed, her knees close to her and her head buried in her knees. She is shaking.

'Umaira!' Ibrahim hurried to her. Her head shot up. She had been crying badly, her swollen bloodshot eyes, her trembling lips, dried tear stains on her cheek and fresh tears stood evidence of that.

'Ibrha.... Ibrahim.... Mehran!' she sobbed shutting her eyes and shaking her head. Ibrahim rushed to her and engulfed her in a tight hug. Umaira clenched his shirt and cried burying her head into his shoulder.

'Shh.... what happened?' Ibrahim asked patiently. Umaira cried some more before telling about Mehran having been badly hurt in an accident. She looked at him, 'What if something happens to him? Ibrahim...I swear...I will die.' Umaira cried once again burying her head into his shoulder and crying.

'Shh...nothing will happen to him.' Ibrahim held her tighter.

'Ibrahim.... what have I done? I will die if anything happens to Mehran.... I love him, I love him so much.' She cried.

Ibrahim gulped his own tears, his heart ached at her confession yet he maintained his composure and continued to caress her hair. Mrs. And Mr. Siddiqui simply looked at each other before looking back at Umaira. Her mom hugged Umaira as Ibrahim stood up.

'Come, we will go the hospital.' Ibrahim quickly wiped his tears.

'I...don't...know...which hospital...'Umaira sobbed hugging her mother tightly, her mother cried with her.

'Don't worry, I will find out. I have my sources.' Ibrahim said taking out his mobile. Mr. Siddiqui followed Ibrahim out of the room.

Ibrahim rested his palm against the wall and closed his eyes. Tears fell from his eyes. Umaira's confession echoed in his head and every time it did, his insides churned with agony. Ibrahim took a deep breath deciding he will not let his feelings come in between Umaira's happiness, which is with Mehran.

'Son, what you are doing, it needs a very strong heart.' Ibrahim felt Mr. Siddiqui pat his shoulder. He turned around and forced a smile nodding.

'Not everyone is as lucky as Mehran. Hope that rascal survives.' Ibrahim laughed sadly. Mr. Siddiqui smiled sadly.

'Please Umaira, have some water...please.' Her mother asked her repeatedly. But she kept refusing and repeating that she wants to meet Mehran. Ibrahim rushed into the room. He held Umaira's arm. She is alarmed.

'Come. I found out which hospital Mehran is in.' he said tugging her arm.

'Really?' Umaira jumped up.

'Yes.' Ibrahim said.

Umaira quickly wiped her tears and fixed her hair, 'Come.' She hurried out of the room. Ibrahim wanted to stop her ask her to change, freshen up but she seemed too distracted to care. All she cared was Mehran. Ibrahim smiled sadly, 'I wish you loved me the way you love Mehran...I guess I should wait, perhaps in the next life time I might get lucky....'